Amazon is looking to hire an experienced and highly motivated Data Center Technician to provide local and remote on support for its Edge & PoP (Point of Presence) locations within the EMEA region including the Middle East and Africa.
You are someone who is very detail oriented and possesses good written & verbal communication skill? Can you be a mentor to other team members with less experience than you? In addition to build-outs and PoP deployments, you will be required to travel between Edge sites conducting routine audits and service assessments. You will also be required to provide remote support to internal teams during scheduled maintenance, operational and service impacting issues.
You will be expected to manage your time on site and coordinate materials and labour with external vendors to ensure that internal standards are met in the most cost-efficient way possible.
You will have experience building relationships with internal and external customers along with innovating effective solutions to meet technical issues & problems as they arise.
You will have previous hands on technical troubleshooting experience and a proven track record for solving complex problems. You will be expected to create and maintain project build documentation.
Most of all you will also have a passion for technology along with a desire to be the best at your job every day!
About the Role:
As a Data Center Technician in Amazon, you will get to help build and maintain a Cloud Computing Infrastructure across a number of local and remote locations within the EMEA region.
The role involves some periods working independently from your team and requires the ability to drive change while maintaining excellent communications.
Your day job will include (but not limited to):
· Triaging and repairing data center & network hardware.
· Troubleshooting network installations & configurations.
· Installing and expanding network & data center infrastructure.
· Resolving data center facility issues.
· Coordinating remote hands & eyes support for any site issues.
· Actively participate in small to mid-size projects to build new or expand Edge data centers.
· Think proactively while working within project teams to prevent support issues before they are realized.
· Building relationships with remote facilities to ensure swift response times to events.
· Drive the team to improve operational efficiency through the identification and development of SLAs, metrics, monitors, procedures, tools, and documentation.
· Produce reports to management on metrics and project status.
"Work Hard. Have Fun. Make History". This is Amazon’s motto and it is followed every day. Mid 2013, AWS S3 web service accepted its 2 trillionth object. The service is regularly peaking at over 1.1 million requests per second. Amazon thinks this is really cool and wants to expand its cloud to meet customers’ continued needs.
Amazon is one of the most customer centric companies in the world and will stop at nothing to meet its customers’ demands. Amazon has proven this business model a success for many years and is always on the lookout for like minded individuals to take it to the next level.
Amazon is expanding at unseen rates, more than doubling its worldwide CloudFront co-location data centers in the last 12 months, and expecting to exceed that amount again in the coming 12 months.
Amazon is building some of the largest distributed systems in the world, and needs smart people to help plan and put the pieces together. Amazon is obsessed with Operational Excellence and strive to improve everything done. The team wants you to progress your career, so will give you the tools to focus on your next desired role and then help you reach it, this is part of Amazon’s ethos.
· Third level education (or relevant experience) in computer science or management.
· Excellent knowledge of server hardware.
· Excellent knowledge of Linux, UNIX administration.
· Copper/Fiber Optic Testing/Cabling Standards.
· Good networking knowledge & understanding of TCP/IP.
· Proficiency with MS Office, MS Project.
· Excellent prioritization and time management.
· 2+ years working in a data center operations environment.
* This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift & rack equipment up to 40lbs; it may require working in cramped spaces or in elevated locations while adhering to health & safety guidelines.
* This role involves significant amount of European travel
· Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
· Experience managing and driving complex projects to successful completion, ideally with team members in several remote locations.
· Understanding of distributed and service oriented architectures.
· Proven ability to manage customer expectations and resolve conflicts that balance client and company needs.
· Full European driving license.