The Amazon Customer Fulfillment team is looking for passionate individuals who love to play a key role in the development of world-class internal customer-facing interfaces and back-end services that make them possible. You are a talented Controls Engineer who knows how to get things done, and done really well, you like making customers' lives better and want to be part of a team that builds "from scratch" a new technology platform for Customer Fulfillment.
It's still Day 1, and we're at the beginning of building out an entire suite of global solutions. You and a team of developers will work through all phases of the project life-cycle, including reviewing requirements, designing services that lay foundation for the new technology platform, build new interfaces and also integrate with existing architectures, developing and testing code, and delivering seamless implementations for our customers.
As a Systems Development Engineer, you will solve real world problems by connecting PLC systems to software systems to drive reliability focused solutions within Amazon's Fulfillment network. You'll be collaborating with teammates in business, software, controls, security, and mechanical engineering. The successful candidate will have a strong quantitative background and can thrive in an environment that leverages statistics, machine learning, operations research, econometrics, and business analysis.
Work closely with building Operations, Operations Engineering, FC Start up Team, AFT Software teams, ACES team, and Safety in supporting MHE systems optimization and project implementation
· Understand, maintain and troubleshoot material handling control systems, including PLC/PC controllers and industrial networks such as Ethernet, ControlNet, DeviceNet, Profibus, motor control systems, servo drives, frequency drives, and electrical distribution systems
· Develop and build MHE metrics and partner with maintenance/operations for system performance issues.
· Apply subject matter expertise in material handling and electronic systems to maximize building utilization of systems
· Develop HMI solutions within Ignition for small processes up to entire network deployments.
· Build automated scripts in various programming languages.
· Partner with building Operations leadership, equipment vendors and parts suppliers to plan and coordinate new technology installations. Act as the technical consultant for capital projects inside the building
· Utilize building network support resources for guidance and assistance, and provide assistance to peers.
· Assist with skill assessments for the Technical positions within building operation maintenance teams.
· Handle flexible work load which may come from management or other operations
· Must be able to ground up design, architect, and implement SCADA systems, including SQL database pipelines.
· Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related quantitative field, or 2 years Amazon experience
· 4+ years of working experience as Controls Engineer or Systems Development Engineer, or Software Development Engineer
· Experience interpreting, modifying, and developing mechanical and electrical drawings.
· Experience identifying, maintaining, and utilizing SCADA systems.
· Familiarity with programming software such as Studio 5000, FT View, Ignition and other controls software platforms.
· Demonstrated experience with multiple code languages (C++, Python, Java, Ladder Logic, Structured Text, SQL).
· Advanced Python experience plus knowledge of Github.
· Experience with SQL or MySQL databases.
· Advanced UNIX systems engineering skills.
· Experience identifying, maintaining, troubleshooting, programming, and designing HMI and control network components.
· Experience identifying, maintaining, troubleshooting, and modifying Motor Controls including motor starters, Variable Frequency Drives, DC drives, and standard electrical components.
· Industrial electrical hands-on experience and troubleshooting, including 480V 3-phase, 110 VAC, and 24VDC systems.
· Experienced in handling large data sets using SQL and databases in a business environment.
· Excellent verbal and written communication.
· Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
· Thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
· Master's degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related quantitative field
· 7+ years’ experience
· Fluency in a scripting or computing language (e.g. Python, SQL, C++, Java, etc.)
· Superior verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to scientists, engineering teams and business audiences.
· Experienced in writing academic-styled papers for presenting both the methodologies used and results for design specifications
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, ability to self-motivate, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
· Combination of deep technical skills and business savvy to interface with all levels and disciplines within our and our customer’s organizations
· Experience in supply chain or operations a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $110,600 - 160,000/yr; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A sign-on bonus and restricted stock units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location. Applicants should apply via Amazon's internal or external careers site.