Alexa is the voice-first personal assistant AI available through over 100 million devices and counting.
(Oh, you already know her?)
Sure, she sets timers for your kid’s screentime, plays your favorite music, and turns on your lights.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Every single day, Alexa is getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more. Did you know she can recommend a wine to pair well with your dinner, find the right 20-minute workout for you (or even just a 5-minute workout!), and can deliver a weather report that’s specific to your address?
The Discovery team aims to make it easy for anyone and everyone to learn what Alexa can do for them, without searching a list of Alexa Skills, and as simply part of their day-to-day routine. We are seeking a Sr. User Researcher to join our cross-discipline team.
As an ideal candidate, you have a deep understanding of user research methods and best practices, but you also have a nimble, creative and pragmatic approach, and you're interested in pushing the boundaries of agile research. You are a passionate researcher with uncanny observational and analytical skills, an impressive ability to collaborate with other teams and designers, and a relentless determination to do what is right for Amazon's customers. You can work with minimal direction while delivering high-quality outputs. You will work on overlapping projects, so you are good at multi-tasking, juggling competing priorities, and organizing yourself. And most of all, you’re excited by uncertainty and ambiguity.
A day in the life
As a Sr. User Researcher, you will bring customer insights into every phase of the product development process, ensuring we have the customer data we need to delight users throughout their relationship with Alexa. You will be responsible for driving a research strategy and implementing it, possibly inventing some new research techniques and technologies along the way. That strategy will help set a vision for Alexa Discovery Experiences as a whole, not only to help new customers “meet Alexa,” but to help Alexa meet ANYONE where they are, with the greatest convenience, simplicity, and humanity.
About the hiring group
As a member of a growing design and research team, you will be responsible for helping prioritize the team’s work and magnifying the impact of the team’s output across organizational boundaries. We work with a cross-discipline product team that works vertically and horizontally across Alexa to develop new core Alexa discovery experiences and services. We welcome innovators and collaborators, as you will regularly find yourself in uncharted territory where the key to your success will be to get ahead of the curve, and you’ll be creating solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which no interaction paradigm currently exists.
· Create a deep understanding and empathy for our target customers through field research, surveys, behavioral analysis, personas, and other methods (existing or invented) that you identify to be most effective.
· Identify the best method or mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
· Work closely with product, design, and tech teams to understand and guide the team’s research needs (known and unknown), and to communicate the insights that shape customer experiences.
· Perform quick but thorough data analysis in order to create insightful and actionable findings presentations - both verbal and written.
· Drive impact, as measured by changes to the product design and development roadmap.
· Act as a representative within a larger Alexa user researcher community. Collect and synthesize useful research from across the organization, bringing insights back to your team.
· Continually learn, grow and improve the craft of UX research.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
· BA/BS in experimental psychology, cognitive science, human computer interaction or related discipline.
· 7+ years of hands-on experience leading UX research projects with demonstrated impact.
· Experience with research process and research methods (e.g., survey design, personas, remote testing, lab studies, diary studies, concept testing, benchmarking, and other methods).
· End-to-end experience with all aspects of research (study design, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting).
· Working knowledge of behavioral statistics and the principles of experimental design.
· A strong portfolio demonstrating past work experience, deliverables, and extraction of actionable insights from qualitative data.
· MA/MS in experimental psychology, human computer interaction, anthropology, or related discipline.
· Strong command of quantitative data analysis, behavioral analysis, and statistics.
· Voice or multi-modal research experience in a global context.
· Research experience with remote participants, e.g., via video conference.
· Fluency in best practices for user research.
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
· The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment.
· Ability to meet ambitious deadlines and deliver high-quality work on schedule, including quickly turning around study plans and reports.
· Demonstrated thought-leadership with a passion for translating data into action.