We believe the evolution that began with arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the live streams and esports of today, will continue to a future where everyone is a gamer and every gamer can create, compete, collaborate and connect with others at massive scales. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us.
New World is a massively multiplayer, open-ended sandbox game that allows you to carve your own destiny with other players in a living, hostile, cursed land. How you play, what you do, and whom you work with or against is up to you. Live on your own amidst the supernatural terrors or join with others to build thriving civilizations.
Amazon Games, Orange County is seeking a Lead Environment Artist to lead the Environment Art team to create stunning game environments. As the Lead Environment Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Concept Art team to deliver on the art vision. You will collaborate with level designers to deliver great gameplay. In this role, you will be leading the team that crafts and creates our worlds. You will combine a strong aesthetic sense with a solid understanding of level design. You will also need to bring your best artist management skills to get the most from the team while helping everyone pursue their career goals.
· Responsible for the world building team’s execution of the artistic vision.
· Work closely with the Art Director and other development leads to maximize the efficiency and quality of the New World Environment Art team.
· Manage environment artists by helping align their passions and career goals with project’s needs.
· Work with engineers and technical artists to define and improve world building tools.
· Work with the art outsourcing team to identify opportunities and maximize outsourcing results.
· Define process and work closely with the game designers to make engaging gameplay coupled with storytelling through art
· Excel at consistent aesthetic and technical quality throughout the asset pipeline.
· Lead efforts to optimize art assets for performance and memory usage.
· Provide clear, concise, consistent and timely visual direction, guidance and feedback.
· Play and thoroughly review the live game to ensure assets are produced at a high quality, represent the artistic vision and fulfill the needs of gameplay.
· Work with Production to measure quality, efficiency, and predictability of team.
· 7+ years of experience in the game industry preferably as an environment artist
· 2+ years of experience in personnel management
· 3+ shipped AAA game titles
· Bachelor’s Degree in Art or in related field
· Online Portfolio
· Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
· Strong foundational skills including composition, design, and color theory.
· Highly Proficient in major 3D software packages (Max/Maya and Zbrush/Mudbox)
· Highly Proficient using Adobe Photoshop.
· Expert knowledge of at least one Game Engine (CryEngine, Unreal, or equivalent)
· Familiarity with modular level construction
· Advanced understanding of Physically Based Shading materials and lighting.
· Advanced skills in hard-surface and organic modeling
· Traditional art skills (figure drawing, landscape, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
· Understanding of procedural art systems in games.
· Experience working with outsourcing
· Architectural knowledge
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.·
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age