The Alexa Shopping: Privacy and Machine Learning team in Cambridge is looking for Applied Science Interns for summer 2020.
As an applied scientist in Alexa Shopping, you will be responsible for the research, design and development of new machine learning and privacy enhancing technologies for voice-based and multimodal shopping experiences. You will be working with top scientists and engineers, as well as with product teams and other research partners, both locally and abroad. Your work will combine data mining, systems and software development, exploration of new technologies, as well as working towards publications and presentations at top scientific conferences.
The team has expertise in Gaussian processes, approximate inference, probabilistic modelling, deep learning, crowdsourcing, user modelling, differential privacy, and other related fields. We employ all these technologies to continually improve the experience of Amazon customers.
· Current enrolment in a degree-granting college or university working towards a PhD in Machine Learning, Data Mining, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or a related field.
· Hands on experience in probabilistic modelling and analysis, in particular one or more of: Bayesian machine learning, deep learning, differential privacy, crowdsourcing, user modelling.
· At least one refereed academic publication in these areas.
· Good coding skills. Experience in Python is a plus.
· Good communication skills and the ability to work in a team.
· Ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
· Ability to distil problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives.
· Strong software development skills.
· Familiarity with one or more of: approximate methods in Bayesian inference, Gaussian Processes, transfer/continual/meta/active learning.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies' world-wide recruitment database, and to circulate that information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.