Are you interested in working on state-of-the-art problems in inventory placement, marketplace optimization, network design and fulfillment? The Inventory Planning and Control (IPC) Science team is responsible for the optimization of Amazon's current supply chain, designing systems for predictive modeling of inventory and in designing future supply-chain networks. We are looking for motivated scientists with strong leadership skills who desire to work at the intersection of machine learning, operations research, engineering development, and advanced large-inventory systems. Applications include adaptive systems for buying and pricing, seller economic modeling, real-time supply-chain optimization, robotics and control and dynamic resource management systems design.
The ideal candidate is a motivated individual with strong skills in both robust, stochastic and combinatorial optimization with application to networks and/or with strong machine learning background including robotics and marketplace dynamical systems modeling. The qualified candidate will hold an advanced quantitative degree in the mathematical sciences, is comfortable with research methodologies and can tackle abstract business and engineering problems and deliver solutions at Amazon’s breakneck pace.
· Work alongside engineering and planning to enable large-scale system optimization and predictive modeling.
· Embed with engineering and partners closely with operations, business, and IT groups. Provide analysis using mathematical modeling tools to benchmark existing operations/processes as well as to identify opportunities for improvement in the production environment
· Communicate with senior management and cross-functional teams
· Be accountable for the quality of system design for business applications. Delivers production systems for planning that are fast, robust and stable
· Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to the decision systems and operational processes.
· PhD in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science or related field
· 7+ years of experience designing predictive modeling and/or optimization solutions for very-large scale applications
· Project management experience working with tech and other cross-functional teams
· Knowledge of tools for large-scale data systems and the ability to manipulate data (e.g. SQL, Python, Perl, or Ruby).
· The ability to communicating technically, at a level appropriate for the audience.
· Experience designing and implementing large-scale modeling solutions and experience with leveraging such models to provide guidance for strategic and tactical business decision making.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both technical and business people.
· Strong problem solving ability and dealing with ambiguity.
· Experience prototyping and developing software in traditional programming languages (C++/ Java/ Python/Perl)
· Experience implementing models and analysis tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. R, Julia,Matlab as examples)
· Understanding of technical project management techniques (e.g. Agile, scrum, Kanban etc.) for effective communications with technical partners