Are you interested in working on state-of-the-art economic and econometric modeling problems in inventory placement, marketplace optimization, network design and fulfillment?
The Inventory Planning and Control (IPC) Science team is a team of scientists, and economists and is responsible for the optimization of Amazon's current supply chain, designing systems for marketplace optimization, predictive modeling of inventory and in designing future supply-chain networks.
We are looking for motivated economists with strong analytical skills who desire to work at the intersection of economics, machine learning and operations research. Applications include synthetic controls used to evaluate intervention in comparative case studies as well modeling for adaptive systems for buying and pricing, seller economic modeling, real-time supply-chain control and dynamic resource management systems design.
The ideal candidate is a motivated individual with strong skills in building robust, stochastic modeling systems for applications suited to their strong machine learning background including classification, synthetic controls, and marketplace dynamical systems.
As a Senior Economist you will solve complex problems and partner with other scientists to design the next generation of algorithms to drive the optimization of Amazon’s Supply Chain. You will continue to contribute to the research community, by working with economists and scientists across Amazon, as well as collaborating with academic researchers and publishing papers (www.aboutamazon.com/research).
What you'll do:
· Designing and implementing new features and machine learned models, including the application of state-of-art models in support of buying, pricing and inventory placement and selection.
· Conducting and coordinating process development leading to improved and streamlined processes for model development.
· Working closely with Product Managers to expand depth of our product insights with data, create a variety of experiments, and determine the highest-impact projects to include in planning roadmaps
· Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members
· Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering, and business backgrounds
· Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to the decision systems and operations.
To help describe some of our challenges, we created a short video about Supply Chain Optimization at Amazon - http://bit.ly/amazon-scot
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· PhD in Economics, Statistics, Machine Learning, Management Science or related field.
· 3+ years of experience in analytics
· Track record in performing high-quality analysis of big data
· Track record of driving change based on persuasive communication of insights based on analysis.
· Experience incubating new analytic approaches working closely with research scientists, economists, software developers and product managers from conception through implementation.
· Written and verbal communication skills to convey complicated processes and systems to business partners and senior leadership.
· Proficiency in R, Python and/or Spark
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career are also strongly encouraged
· Experience in pricing-related analytics
· Strong research track record