Do you get excited about working on scientific problems that will have a large, significant and lasting impact for Amazon customers? Are you interested in Computer Vision and Machine Learning? Are you thrilled working in a startup-like environment? Search no more! We have an opening for a (Sr.) Applied Scientist in Berlin.
As a (Sr.) Applied Scientist, you will be driving projects and prototypes in the field of image optimisation/rendering for Amazon Retail Experiences. The team's scope includes but is not limited to: understanding perceptual image quality, optimising content (file standard compliant), thinking about novel Machine Learning inspired compression approaches and leveraging Computer Vision for content-aware image rendering (e.g., through image feature extraction).
Some of your key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Build machine learning models (e.g., for image feature extraction)
· Develop optimisation strategies (e.g., for image optimisation)
· Collaborate with software development engineers to get scientific ideas into production quickly
· Join/lead scientific reading groups and engage with the scientific community (within Amazon and beyond)
· Think outside the box and identify novel opportunities for a better customer experience
More information on the team's past work and impact for Amazon Retail Experiences page can be found on the Amazon Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.de/forschung-entwicklung/bildoptimierung-made-in-t%C3%BCbingen
Your work will impact the shopping experience for millions of Amazon customers every day. Your ideas allow a fast path to production at scale and help us reshape the way we think about image rendering and delivery at Amazon.
· PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Operational Research, Statistics or a related quantitative field
· Peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field (e.g., CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ICML, NeurIPS, ICLR)
· Experience in Python or C/C++
· Experience wich Machine Learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, MXNet or PyTorch
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Expert knowledge of Computer Vision and/or Machine Learning, in particular: lower-level computer vision, signal processing, imaging and video standards, CNNs
· Experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment
· Industry experience (1+ yrs)