Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
The Hardware Compliance Engineering (HWCE), responsible for design for compliance, certification and global market access for all of Lab126 products, is seeking a Senior Regulatory Compliance Engineer. This position requires strong technical expertise and experience in EMI, EMC, ESD, wireless and energy efficiency regulatory compliance. The right candidate will be a technical lead on the team and will be an integral partner to the hardware development team, ensuring that all Lab126 product design conforms with worldwide regulatory requirements. You must be a technical leader and subject matter experts with a deep working knowledge of EMC compliance and wireless devices and technology.
You will have a full understanding of wireless radio technology including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi compliance as well as experience in driving product design for the applicable worldwide regulatory and safety standards. You will engage with a diverse cross-functional team supporting the innovation of consumer products and work closely with the hardware engineering team to drive compliance testing and verification. You must be highly analytical, able to work extremely effectively across multiple organizations and have a strong understanding of regulatory compliance schemes and the processes required to determine relevant compliance requirement, test, debug, certify and enable market access for Amazon Lab126 products. You must possess strong passion for customers and possess in depth understanding of wireless technologies and regulatory compliance.
· Drive a standardized and harmonized approach to Regulatory Compliance across Amazon’s suite of products
· Working with engineering team, including the product/program managers, actively educate them on regulatory requirements for new and existing products, help guide compliant design development and verify compliance through testing, debug and validation activities
· Technical leader able to utilize deep knowledge and experience to support junior compliance engineers on product regulatory compliance issues and failures
· Establish business processes and policies as well as metrics and indicators for success
· Determine and interpret the relevant regulatory standards for Amazon products
· Establishing and maintaining guidelines and best design practices to mitigate compliance issues early in the design phase
· Participate in mechanical and electrical design reviews to ensure EMC/EMI and WLAN mitigations are properly implemented in the design
· Hands-on testing experience for EMC/EMI compliance during development (pre-compliance testing)
· Work with 3rd party labs to test and validate Amazon products and support testing from a hardware and software perspective
· Debug and root cause failures at the test lab to determination issue point and assist the design team to implement corrective design actions
· File official paperwork and final approval from the proper government or regulatory bodies
· Track and research applicable requirements related to worldwide regulatory certification labeling and ensure Lab126 products remain compliant with current regulations
· Stay up to date on any changes to global agency approvals and testing procedures
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering, electrical engineering or related technical discipline
· 7+ years of experience in regulatory compliance
· Knowledge of electronics design, safety, risk and failure analysis
· RF background on one or more wireless technologies (WLAN/BT/Zigbee/Cellular) with hands on compliance testing, data interpretation and debug experience
· EMC testing and debugging experience with prior hands-on experience with troubleshooting techniques
· Experience in submissions for official certification through relevant compliance bodies such as FCC, ISED, CE NB, TELEC, WPC
· Experience working with Asia-based manufacturing partners and test labs
· Experience in documenting regulatory requirements extracted from compliance standards
· Masters in electrical engineering or equivalent technical degree
· 10+ years in HW Compliance engineering
· Multiple generations of FCC/CE/TELEC/WPC product regulatory approval submissions
· Proven track record of role modeling a collaborative teamwork environment
· Ability to move quickly and multitask in an ambiguous and fast pace environment.
· Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with people in a variety of disciplines though all levels of an organization.
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation