We’re trying to optimize shopping experience for Amazon’s Customers in the Physical retail space. This role will be a key member of the core Analytics team, based in Seattle, WA. The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy and ever-changing environment. The drive and capability to shape the business group strategy is a must.
The Data Scientist will work closely with Business Intelligence Engineers, Product Managers, Software Engineers, and Program Managers to develop statistical models, design and run experiments, and find new ways to optimize customer shopping and product experience. The Scientist will collaborate with technology and product leaders to solve business and technology problems using scientific approaches to build new services that surprise and delight Amazon customers.
This role will influence the direction of the business by leveraging our data to deliver insights that drive decisions and actions. The role will involve translating broad business problems into specific analytics projects, conducting deep quantitative analyses, and communicating results effectively. We see a high potential for influence and growth in this role as we transform our data into actionable insights to continue to fuel the growth of this business.
· Translate ambiguous business questions and concerns into specific quantitative questions that can be answered with available data using sound methodologies.
· Use predictive analytics and machine learning techniques to solve complex problems and drive business decisions.
· Design experiments leveraging your models to measure effectiveness
· Work closely with business, engineering and scientists within the Physical Stores organization and with stakeholder teams to integrate your models into production systems.
· Effectively document and communicate methodologies and results
· Bachelor's degree or higher in an analytical area such as computer science, economics, finance statistics, or similar
· 5+ years of experience producing models and analytics for business applications
· Experience in standard machine-learning and statistical modeling tools and techniques (e.g. random forests, gradient-boosted regression, LASSO, logistic regression)
· Experience in programming in R, Python, Scala or similar languages
· Evidence of using of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets, etc. in data analysis projects
· Masters or PhD in an analytical area such as computer science, economics, finance statistics, or similar
· 7+ years of experience producing models and analytics for business applications
· Previous experience in a ML or data scientist role with a large technology company.
· Hands-on experience with multiple improvement initiatives
· Expert in the areas of data science, machine learning and statistics,
· Sound business judgment with demonstrated ability to balance technical and business needs to make the right decisions about technology, models and methodologies.
· Excellent communication skills to be able to work with business owners to develop and define key business questions and to build data sets that answer those questions
· Demonstrated ability to independently drive issues to resolution while communicating insights to non-technical audiences.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.