As a Senior Applied Scientist on this growing team, you will take on a key role in the Natural Language Processing (NLP) teams for Amazon Search. We are developing NLP components that cover a wide range of languages, from English and other Indo-European languages to Turkish, Arabic, Japanese and many more, and play a central role in search query processing, product description indexing, string normalization and vector embeddings for queries and products.
You will use machine learning, tuned on terabytes of product and traffic data, to build or improve NLP technology that you will integrate with and evaluate, using techniques like A/B tests, in production. The approaches you choose for model architecture and training methods will balance business-defined performance indicators with the needs of millisecond response times. You will propose and explore publication-worthy innovation.
You will build relationships with stakeholders and partner teams across multiple countries, analyze data for trends, track down the source and meaning of anomalies, select suitable rule-based or machine-learning based techniques and increment over improvements, closing the loop through data, model, application and customer feedback.
· Analyze customer-focused problems in an industrial setting and provide accurate, efficient and innovative NLP/ML solutions
· Build NLP models that can be applied to multiple languages
· Evaluate the proposed solutions via offline benchmark tests, online A/B tests in production
· Publish the developed innovative solutions in leading academic scientific venues in NLP/ML
· PhD degree or equivalent, in a quantitative field (computer science, mathematics, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, or similar)
· At least one publication, as first author, in a leading journal or conference related to computer science, natural language processing or applied mathematics
· 5+ years experience using machine learning or other NLP techniques
· 2+ years experience implementing machine learning related techniques using Python or Scala in a distributed system, suitable for large scale
· 2+ years experience working in a Linux environment
· Fluency in written and spoken English (German is not required)
· Experience working in data or applied science in a consumer product company
· Experience in a leading role, deciding approaches, setting direction and/or mentoring others on the team
· Experience using Deep Learning to solve NLP tasks
· Experience using Java or C++ writing production-ready code
· Familiarity with deep learning and machine learning frameworks such as SageMaker, PyTorch or TensorFlow
· Experience in low-level optimization of large-scale neural networks
· Fluency in one or more languages other than English
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.