Amazon Alexa Comunications (connecting people to family and friends) is looking for a Senior Applied Science Manager to lead the development of next generation Spoken Language Understanding, Recommendation, and other understanding and intelligent response systems that revolutionize multi-modal (voice and GUI) communication for Alexa's customers. In this role, you will manage teams of passionate, talented, and inventive scientists, to develop industry-leading natural language understanding (NLU), automatic speech recognition (ASR), recommendation, and other inference and response systems and drive them successfully to production for the benefit of millions of Alexa users. Your mission is to push the envelope in order to provide the industry-leading, best-possible experience for our customers.
As a Senior Applied Science Manager, you will identify research directions, create roadmaps for forward-looking research and communicate them to senior leadership, and work closely with engineering teams to bring research to production. You will work with teams of talented scientists, and fill the ranks by attracting the best scientists in SLU, dialog and other Communication-related signal processing systems by representing Amazon Alexa at international science conferences. You will work with talented peers and leverage Amazon’s heterogeneous data sources and large-scale computing resources.
· Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics with specialization in specialization in natural language processing, speech processing, signal processing, dialog management, natural language generation or machine learning.
· 8+ years of working experience on NLP, ASR, Dialog, NLG or machine learning problems and systems in industry and/or academia
· 3+ years of managing experience of scientists
· Knowledge of programming languages such as C/C++, Python, Java or Perl
· PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, or Mathematics with specialization in natural language processing, dialog management, natural language generation or machine learning.
· 3+ years experience and proven track record in leading teams for developing natural language processing or dialog management systems (e.g. commercial speech products or government speech projects)
· Solid Machine Learning background and familiar with state-of-the art in NLP and Dialog management and NLG literature.
· Scientific thinking and the ability to invent, a track record of thought leadership and contributions that have advanced the field
· Solid software development experience
· Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us