Amazon Workforce Intelligence is looking for a Research Science Manager with a background in Operations Research and Management Sciences. The vision of Workforce Intelligence is to design the ideal workforce to meet the customer promise anywhere. This organization leads and influences global workforce strategies that enable Amazon to scale more efficiently while also providing a unique voice for the hourly workforce. This is accomplished through a variety of science driven initiatives, KPI analysis and reporting, predictive modeling, and data engineering. Amazon’s mission is to be the most customer centric company in the world and Workforce Staffing, the organization responsible for hourly associate hiring globally, is on the front lines of that mission and will be your core customer in this role.
The team you will lead builds forecasting and optimization models to predict labor needs and hiring risks, minimize operation costs, and maximize hiring outcomes and fill rates. Example research includes building global forecasting models for application and hire yields, and evaluating and improving resource allocation for staffing operations. You will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and working closely with the software development team to put solutions into production. While leading this team, you will have an opportunity to work on substantial hiring funnel optimization and forecasting problems. You will lead and guide the team to write and solve linear and mixed-integer problems to find optimal solutions to build decisions given capacity constraints and the demand distributions. You will be responsible for leading the team that does researching, experimenting, prototyping, and deploying models into production.
A successful candidate must have outstanding analytical abilities, strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as experience in working with cross-functional teams. This person needs the ability to influence others and cross-functional leadership. As the single threaded leader, you will hire, coach, and lead your team of research scientists and data scientists to develop innovative models and insights that surface actionable insights.
• Apply business judgement to identify opportunities and develop science strategies
• Work collaboratively and effectively with engineering and business partners to build algorithms and models for hiring funnel forecasting and optimization
• Develop mechanisms to audit the forecast quality and develop best practices
• Lead a team of talented individuals (PhD or MS in Statistics or Machine Learning)
• Hire and grow junior science leaders
• Develop research roadmap
• Influence, collaborate, and communicate effectively with other engineering, science, and business leaders
• Communicate scientific solution and insights effectively to a non-scientific audience
· M.S in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Management Science or a related field with 5+ years of industry experience.
· Previous leadership and experience in leading and launching Science projects. Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment
· 5+ years of work experience in areas such as data analytics, operations research, data modeling, machine learning and large scale simulation.
· Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs and proven achievements in industrial production systems.
· 3+ years of direct people management experience including duties such as performance evaluation and career development.
· PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering or a related field with 3+ years of industry experience
· Prior background in machine learning and forecasting is a plus
· Experience designing and supporting large-scale distributed systems in a production environment
· Practical experience in one or more major programming languages (C++, Java, Python, etc.) and in implementing optimization models and tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. AMPL, Mosel, R, MATLAB)
· 1+ years of relevant development experience in Object-Oriented Design and Service Oriented Architecture
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.