We’re looking for a machine learning scientist in the Personalization team for our Edinburgh office. You will be responsible for developing and disseminating customer-facing personalized recommendation algorithms. This is a hands-on role with global impact working with a team of world-class engineers and scientists across in the Edinburgh offices and wider organization.
You will design algorithms that scale to very large quantities of data, and serve high-scale low-latency recommendations to all customers worldwide. You will embody scientific rigor, designing and executing experiments to demonstrate the technical efficacy and business value of your methods. You will also advocate for your approaches across Amazon and the research community, publishing and giving talks as well as leading business reviews. Your work delights customers by aiding in recommendations relevancy, and raise the profile of Amazon as a global leader in machine learning and personalization.
Successful candidates will have strong technical ability, focus on customers by applying a customer-first approach, excellent teamwork and communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. Our position offers exceptional opportunities for every candidate to grow their technical and non-technical skills. If you are selected, you have the opportunity to make a difference to our business by designing and building state of the art machine learning systems on big data, leveraging Amazon’s vast computing resources (AWS), working on exciting and challenging projects, and delivering meaningful results to customers world-wide.
· Develop deep learning algorithms for high-scale recommendations problem
· Rapidly design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgement.
· Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experimental results into large-scale, highly complex Amazon production systems capable of handling 100,000s of transactions per second at low latency.
· Report results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant, exemplifying good scientific practice in a business environment.
· Promote the culture of experimentation and science at Amazon.
· Post-graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Statistics, or related quantitative field.
· Track record of providing technical leadership on high-impact applied research problems
· Strong computer science grounding in a broad range of algorithms and data-structures.
· Proficiency in an object-orientated programming language (C++, Java, C#, C, Perl/Ruby, etc.)
· Proficiency with mathematical programming environments (R, Matlab, Numpy/Scipy, SAS, etc.)
· Programming skills sufficient to extract, transform, and clean large (multi-terrabyte) data sets in a Unix/Linux environment.
· Excellent critical thinking skills, combined with the ability to present your ideas clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.
· Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or related field.
In return, we offer a highly competitive salary, and other excellent benefits including healthcare. This is your opportunity to develop a rewarding career in a unique, passionate, and international environment, work hard, have fun and make history!
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and a successful background screening check. This check will include previous employment verification, qualification verification (if relevant) and a basic criminal check. Further details of this policy and procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.