Amazon's Pricing Research team is seeking an experienced Senior Principal Economist to help envision, design and build the next generation of pricing capabilities behind Amazon's retail business. We require a thought leader who can work with other economists, data scientists and business leaders to create a vision for Amazon pricing across channels and global marketplaces in order to deliver prices that delight our customers while maximizing Amazon's long-term free cash flow. This position requires and intellectual leader who is comfortable working at the intersection of economic theory, statistical inference, machine learning and optimization to design new pricing strategies and algorithms that deliver game-changing value to our customers, suppliers and Amazon. This is an opportunity for a high-energy individual to work with our unmatched data to bring cutting edge research into real-world applications with enormous impact on our business.
The Pricing Research Team is a team of scientists and economists who design the analytics powering pricing for Amazon's on-line business. The team uses world-class analytics to make sure that the prices that we offer bring tremendous value to our customers and drive our future growth. A key capability of the group is the ability to work with large volumes of data to generate actionable insight for decision makers.
This position is perfect for someone who is passionate about using cutting-edge analytic technologies to create new approaches to pricing, formulating metrics to measure their effectiveness, developing and evaluating large-scale experiments to test them and communicating the results to senior management. Experience in applying economic concepts to real-world problems is essential. We are particularly interested in candidates with research background in applied microeconomics and market design.
PhD in Economics, Statistics, Management Science or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience in analytics
- Track record in performing high-quality analysis of big data
- Track record of driving change based on persuasive communication of insights based on analysis.
- Experience in guiding teams of economists and data-scientists in sophisticated research efforts with demonstrated results.
- Experience developing new analytic approaches working closely with research scientists, economists, software developers and product managers from conception through implementation.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills to convey complicated processes and systems to business partners and senior leadership.
- Applicants with considerably more experience, including established academics, are strongly encouraged to apply
- Experience in research or development related to pricing, especially on-line or dynamic pricing.
- Strong research track record.