AWS Commerce Platform is seeking a talented DevOps/Systems Development Engineer to own automating operational and business practices. You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. This will include identifying and resolving issues, as well as automating and improving repetitive processes. You will become intimate with the architecture of our systems and be responsible for diving deep into code, while developing solutions for our customers and services. You’ll drive prioritization of operational issues, and drive automation design & scaling requirements in support of the wider organization.
The AWS Commerce Platform provides the back and front-end services that enable AWS customers to purchase AWS services and understand and manage their infrastructure costs. Our platform tackles some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world. We process trillions of events per month using stream processing techniques (Kinesis), process billions of line items via map reduce (EMR), and manage artifacts through the latest in database technologies (DynamoDB and Aurora). We process big data and provide tools for customers to interactively understand their bills. We also provide the analytics that let customers manage billions of dollars of IT usage and spending. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, we also work closely across all AWS teams to ensure that we offer a great customer experience.
The ideal candidate must be detail oriented, have superior verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, able to juggle multiple tasks at once, able to work independently and can maintain professionalism under pressure. You must be able to identify problems before they happen and implement solutions that detect and prevent outages. You must be able to accurately prioritize projects, make sound judgments, work to improve the customer experience, and get the right things done.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a US Citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or four years of equivalent experience
· 2+ years of experience in Systems Administration, Network Administration, DevOps or Site Reliability Engineering
· 2+ years of experience with focus in areas such as systems, network, and/or application security
· 2+ years of experience with web protocols and Linux/Unix tools and architecture
· 2+ years of experience building automated tools in Python, Java and/or Ruby
· Experience with agile software development practices
· Current, active US Government Security Clearance of Top Secret or above
· Experience with open-source technologies
· Excellence in technical communications with both technical and non-technical peers
· Experience with maintaining distributed systems and web services
· Understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
· Experience with configuration management systems such as Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
· Automation, testing or monitoring framework development
· System engineering experience in the cloud
· Self-drive to keep moving things forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (resilient to hazards of “analysis paralysis”)
· Strong sense of ownership and drive
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.