The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing is looking to hire a Quantum Research Scientist with expertise in computational physics. You will join a vibrant team of physicists and hardware designers working at the forefront of quantum computing. You will focus on developing software tools for the design and simulation of quantum devices which span multiple scales, involve complex geometries, and incorporate a number of physical phenomena. You are expected to become a user of the tools you develop. Candidates having experience with advanced computational techniques (tensor network algorithms, machine learning, automatic differentiation, GPU-based computing, HPC, etc.) and a track record of original scientific contributions will be preferred. Candidates must have a strong background in engineering principles, resourcefulness and a bias for action, and superior problem solving and communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is essential.
· PhD in physics, applied physics, or electrical engineering
· Expertise in Julia (preferred), Python, MATLAB, and/or C++.
· Located in or willing to relocate to work in San Francisco, CA
· Ability to travel to Pasadena, CA on occasion (~quarterly)
· Superior skills in problem solving, organization, and communication
· Thrives in a collaborative environment
· Broad and deep knowledge of numerical linear algebra
· Experience developing new techniques for device design
· Experience in time-dependent modeling of large quantum systems
· Experience working closely with scientists and engineers having a wide range of technical skill levels
· Proficient with version control systems (Git)
· Curiosity/capability to research and learn new techniques or technical topics as needed
· Comfortable working in a diverse group and contributing to an inclusive culture