Amazon’s Product Assurance team is focused on ensuring the products we sell on our platform satisfy all applicable safety and regulatory requirements. We are seeking a Data Engineer to help us build data monitoring and risk signal products supporting Product Assurance initiatives.
As an Amazon Data Engineer you will be working in one of the world's largest and most complex data warehouse environments. You should be an expert in the architecture of DW solutions for the Enterprise using multiple technologies (RDBMS, Columnar, Cloud). You should excel in the design, creation, management, and business use of extremely large datasets. You should have excellent business and communication skills to be able to work with business owners to develop and define key business questions, and to build data sets that answer those questions. Above all you should be passionate about working with huge data sets and someone who loves to bring datasets together to answer business questions and drive change.
· Duties & responsibilities for this role will include:
· Design, implement, and operate stable, scalable, low cost solutions to flow data from production systems into the data warehouse and into end-user facing applications
· Keep up to date with advances in big data technologies and run pilots to design the data architecture to scale with the increased data volume using AWS.
· Data modeling to support machine learning model training and offline, batch inference workflows.
· Develop expertise in a broad range of Amazon’s data resources and know when, how, and which to use and which not to use
· Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS big data technologies
· Encourage the organization to adopt next-generation data architecture strategies, proposing both data flows and storage solutions
· Create extensible designs and easy to maintain solutions with the long term vision in mind
· Interface with cross functional teams, gathering requirements and delivering data solutions.
This position requires a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, and 7+ years of meaningful employment experience.
· 6+ years of relevant work experience in Big data engineering, ETL pipeline development, Data Modeling, and Data Architecture.
· Expert-level skills in writing and optimizing SQL.
· Proven experience with MPP databases.
· Proficiency in one of the programming languages - python, ruby, java or similar.
· Experience with AWS stack and Big Data Technologies such as Spark, Hive, Presto etc.
· Experience operating very large scale data warehouses, data lakes and building streaming data pipelines.
· Proven interpersonal skills and standout colleague.
· A real passion for technology. We are looking for someone who is keen to demonstrate their existing skills while trying new approaches.
· Masters in computer science, mathematics, statistics, economics, or other quantitative fields.
· 8+ years of experience as a Data Engineer, BI Engineer or related field in a company with large, complex data sources.
· Extensive experience with Big Data technologies such as Hive/Spark, AWS EMR, AWS Glue, AWS Lambda and Kinesis.
· Knowledge of software engineering best practices across the development lifecycle, including agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Proven success in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe data modeling decisions and data engineering strategy.
· Familiarity with data quality automation.
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, ability to self-motivate, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.