AWS is seeking a Principal Risk Manager to provide governance and oversight over the Capital Appropriation Request (CAR) process and flows through additional business processes including budgeting, contracting bid and award, and spend approval. This Seattle-based role will play a critical role in ensuring that the right mechanisms are in place to meet internal policies and external requirements across the entire end-to-end CAR process for the rapidly growing AWS business, which exceeded $35B in 2019 and grew over 36% YoY.
This newly created role will report directly to the Director, AWS Infrastructure Finance. The role will work closely with various teams across AWS including business leaders, legal and finance representatives. The CAR process starts with a capital request and/or budgeting process and flows through several phases including budgeting, finance approval, legal review, contracting bid and award, spend approval and variance monitoring and adjustment. The role will be responsible for diving deep and developing tools and mechanisms to audit and inspect CARs for appropriateness, providing an internal “second line of defense” on top of standard operating procedures. The role will help AWS understand risks, identify opportunities for improvement, determine policy violations, and implement ways to mitigate risks going forward.
The successful candidate will be controls-minded, process-oriented, highly analytical and able to work effectively across multiple finance and business teams. The candidate must demonstrate a blend of competencies, at times acting as a risk manager, controller, auditor, process design consultant and data analyst. The role will lead risk-related projects, coordinating with the various AWS stakeholders - specifically in the areas of process design, internal control effectiveness, and other relevant areas to ensure that CAR processes stay ahead of risks, including identifying ways to leverage technology and data and leading the design and implementation of tooling, control mechanisms and reporting. The role operates in a fast-paced, global, results-oriented environment and will be the steward of the CAR process for AWS Finance.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
• Work directly with AWS business and finance teams and legal as the CAR risk manager to provide a second line of defense over CAR processes and controls.
• Assess the end-to-end CAR process and dive deep to conduct audits of capital project planning, approval and spending.
• Identify and evaluate opportunities to improve process and controls, and drive improvements across AWS finance and business teams.
• Develop reports and metrics to provide visibility into CAR controllership processes, including compliance with internal policies.
• Drive design and adoption of tools and mechanisms to enhance CAR process monitoring.
• Monitor compliance with controls and systems, and develop new processes to support the fast-growing, global AWS business
• Drive effective teamwork, communication, collaboration and commitment across multiple disparate groups with competing priorities
Up to 20% travel may be required, including international travel.
The successful hire will have the demonstrated ability to identify and structure problems, perform rigorous analyses, assess risk, and build mechanisms that can operate at scale. This role requires the ability to question the status quo, yet collaborate effectively across the AWS business and build trust. Other qualifications include:
• BA/BS degree in accounting, finance, business, information systems, or related field. MBA preferred.
• 10+ years of experience with auditing, risk management, compliance, program management or quality management systems.
• Experience with process improvement, Kaizen and six sigma
• Understanding of large enterprise Capital Appropriation or Procurement processes, including legal contract language.
• Precise and thoughtful oral and written communication skills
• Ability to think clearly, analyze quantitatively, problem-solve
• Ability to comfortably and confidently present to all levels within the enterprise
• Results oriented, can work independently and collaboratively with global teams
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and self-motivate in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
• Experience in driving effective cross-functional collaboration and ability to influence without authority
• Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize activities, and meet overall objectives
• High level of financial acumen
• Has relentlessly high standards
• Builds processes and mechanisms that are scalable and avoid unnecessary complexity
• Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
• Has convictions and strong backbone
• Operates with autonomy
• Has a curious mind and strong desire to learn
• Results oriented
• Passion for diving deep into the details to solve problems
• Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.