Talent Products Team (TPT) – Front-End Engineer
How can we build talent pipelines to support Amazon’s growth? What is important for talent to be successful at Amazon? How can we better predict talent movement (promotions, transfers, attrition) and quantitatively identify the root causes? When does internal movement make the biggest impact on Amazon talent? These are among the most important questions at Amazon today.
As a Front-End Engineer on the Worldwide Operations Talent Products Team you will have an opportunity to collaborate with a team of Economists, ML Engineers, Research Scientists, Software Development Engineers, UX designers, Product Managers, and Data Engineers to answer these questions and develop products for use by internal operations leaders to manage these insights at scale. This team will shape the strategic direction and inform talent decisions at the highest levels of Worldwide Operations, helping us to become the world’s most scientific and technically proficient Human Resource organization.
We're looking for someone with unparalleled knowledge in current web development technologies who can thrive in a heterogeneous environment of different languages and technologies. You will own significant portions of the product and will have influence on our strategy by helping to define and build the next wave of features and system . The ideal candidate will have strong OO and implementation experience, good knowledge of web services and protocols (HTTP/XML/REST), and experience shipping world-class products. Experience with continuous delivery, Git automation, and build systems are particularly valued, as is experience delivering large-scale web UIs. You will be customer-centric and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that requires strong technical and communication skills.
If you are a candidate who is passionate about helping those around you reaching their fullest human potential, if you see technology as a way to disrupt and re-imagine talent management processes and leverage modern software engineering techniques, then you may be the ideal person for this position.
· Web application and development experience
· Experience in a senior software or web development role
· Experience with Java or C++/C#/.NET and the Spring Framework
· Problem solving ability
· Experience utilizing testing best practices
· Ability to communicate complex, technical details to non-technical stakeholders verbally and in writing
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
· Track record of delivering front-end software that is correct, stable, performant, secure, and accessibility compliant
· Able to solve difficult software and UX problems with some ambiguity. Pushes for information to avoid solving the wrong problem and mitigate UI risks early in the process to avoid feature delays. Can decompose a problem into clear software and UX actions
· Proficient in a broad range of software approaches and common UX patterns. Knows when (and when not) to use front-end software patterns (e.g. asynchronicity, data binding, modules, objects, promises)
· Can articulate the risks and benefits of depending on front-end libraries, frameworks, and toolsets
· Able to dive into the source of front end libraries to debug, patch, and extend them when necessary
· Proficient in view layout and rendering technologies (e.g., responsiveness, progressive enhancement, browser/device support). Knows when it is appropriate to make graceful fallbacks
· Knowledge of engineering and operational excellence best practices
· Understands how to optimize the delivery of and assets (e.g., images, fonts) to a browser or device (e.g., lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc.)
· Understands the implications of introducing dependencies
· Understands how to be efficient with resource usage (e.g., application impact on memory and CPU, caches appropriately, respectful of customer’s devices, etc.)
· Knows how to instrument software with real user metrics to reflect the customer experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.