At Alexa Shopping, we strive to enable shopping in everyday life through technology innovations in both voice and screen applications, from organizing shopping to covering in the moment shopping needs. Our products range from package tracking to shopping lists and instant ordering. We allow customers to create, add to, and collaborate on shopping lists that can be used in any store and to instantly order whatever they need, by simply interacting with their Smart Devices such as Echo or Fire TV. No matter where you are or what you are doing, you can go from 'I want that' to 'that's on the way' in a matter of seconds.
Amazon economists apply the frontier of economic thinking to market design, pricing, forecasting, program evaluation, online advertising and other areas. Our economists build econometric models using our world class data systems, and apply economic theory to solve business problems in a fast-moving environment. A career at Amazon affords economists the opportunity to work with data of unparalleled quality, apply rigorous applied econometric approaches, and work with some of the most talented applied scientists in the trade.
The Customer Activity Science team within Alexa Shopping is looking for an experienced Economist to scale estimation strategies to measure the value of our feature set and provide thought leadership on how the organization can best use these estimates to optimize decision making across marketing and product. Your expertise in causal inference methods, system thinking, and ability to communicate and work with varying functions from Product, Marketing, Finance, and Engineering will be instrumental in delivering and driving value for the organization.
In addition, we are looking for an individual who can mentor junior scientists and who can offer guidance in metrics building, forecasting and regression adjustment, and experimental design to our BI, Marketing, and Product partners. We expect this individual to manage their priorities and backlog, along with deliverable expectations to their customers.
Finally, the ideal candidate should also feel comfortable working with relational databases to construct data-sets or have a willingness to learn. You will be expected to pull your own data and work with BI and Data Engineering to create new data-sets and pipelines.
The main responsibilities for this position include:
· Apply expertise in causal modeling
· Collaborate with Business Intelligence, Scientists, Data Engineering to scale contributions
· Review and audit modeling processes and results for other scientists, both junior and senior
· Work with leadership in Product, Marketing and Finance to drive adoption of our modeling products
· Provide data insights based on our products/analyses to drive strategic initiatives and measurement strategies to prove them out
· Bring a department-wide perspective into decision making
· Contribute to a knowledge sharing culture
· PhD in Economics or related field
· 2+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government or academic research.
· Programming in one or more statistics-oriented languages (Stata, Python, R)
· Strong background in statistics methodology, econometric theory, and applications to business problems
· Effective verbal and written communications skills
· Applicants with considerably more experience, including mid-career, are also strongly encouraged
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Strong research track record
· Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong working relationships and driving collaboration across multiple technical and business teams
· Experience with SQL and / or working in a Unix / Linux environment is a plus