Amazon is looking for motivated and innovative individuals with strong analytical skills and practical experience to join our Middle Mile Planning Research and Optimization Science (mmPROS) team. We are hiring specialists at all levels for our scientific team with expertise in transportation and systems engineering, network and combinatorial optimization, stochastic optimization, algorithm design, pricing and yield management, machine learning and demand forecasting.
Middle Mile Air and Ground transportation represents one of the fastest growing logistics areas within Amazon. Amazon Fulfillment Services transports millions of packages via air and ground and continues to grow year over year. Our team (mmPROS) is charged with research and developing models, algorithms, data structures, and data representations for Amazon Delivery Technology (surface and air transportation) businesses globally. Develop optimization-based decision support for planning, routing, operations, pricing, topology, and resource planning.
These tools rely heavily on mathematical optimization, stochastic simulation, meta-heuristic and machine learning techniques. In addition, Amazon often finds existing techniques do not effectively match our unique business needs which necessitates the innovation and development of new approaches and algorithms to find an adequate solution.
As a Research Scientist focusing on pricing, data science and stochastic optimization, you will play a key role in Amazon’s transportation and logistics strategic planning and operations. You will research, design and improve on the pricing models that will impact Amazon’s customer directly. You will be working in a highly collaborative environment partnering with various science, product management, engineering, operations, finance, business intelligence and analytics teams to develop pricing systems and other analytical tools. You will need to understand the business requirements and translate them into complex analytical outputs. You should be comfortable building prototypes, testing and improving them given the feedback from the real time data. You should be able to present your model and findings to a various range of stakeholders.
· Ph.D. in Operations Research, Transportation Management, Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Econometrics, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or a related field.
· 5+ yrs of relevant, broad research science experience after PhD degree or equivalent.
· Good communication skills with both technical and business people. Ability to speak at a level appropriate for the audience.
· Experience designing simulation and optimization models for stochastic pricing, price optimization and yield management models.
· Experience in writing scripts (Perl, Ruby) to manipulate data and developing software applications in programming languages such as C++, Java, and Python.
· Experience designing/implementing machine learning algorithms tailored to particular business needs and tested on large datasets
· The ability to implement models and tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. AMPL, Mosel, R, Matlab, Julia) is a plus.
· Industry related experience in data analysis, preferably with a pricing/yield management focus
· Experience with modeling sequential data, statistical forecasting, and time series models
· Familiarity with optimization models such as Linear Programming and Integer Programming
· Practical experience and strong background in statistics and machine learning algorithms
· Experience in data mining and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets.
· Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high customer impact.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Vet