Amazon Search is building the search engine used for product search on the Amazon shopping site, worldwide. The team in Japan is involved in a range of areas with impact on the search engine globally, including the heuristics and machine learning systems used to generate and rank search results, natural language processing for many languages, and UX features of the search frontend.
We are looking for highly motivated applied scientists and engineers interested in delivering the next level of innovation to product search for Amazon. The position is based in the Amazon Japan Meguro (Tokyo) office.
As an Applied Scientist for Search, you will lead the design, implementation and delivery of search features on Amazon worldwide, helping millions of customers every day to find quickly what they are looking for, and to discover products they didn't even know Amazon carried. Your improvements to the product search engine will include tailoring search for global marketplaces, using advanced techniques and tools to mine petabytes of data, and running experiments to detect important areas of improvement and measure success. You will be designing solutions, sometimes from the ground up, that scale to efficiently handle billions of queries and items each day. You will be working closely with international teams of bright and talented people all over the world, both in business and in technology. The models that you develop, supported by industrial scale development tools, integrates smoothly and efficiently into one of the largest code bases in the world and runs in data centers worldwide. By joining us, you will help to build up global development expertise in a team of engineers based in Tokyo working on solutions used locally, and worldwide.
Besides possessing knowledge and problem solving expertise in applied science discipline, you must be an innovative thinker and a strong communicator. Working in this position will involve collaborating with English speaking engineers and scientists in the US, Europe, China, India and other places.
Your areas of responsibility include:
· Designing and implementing new production features and machine learned models, including the application of natural language processing, state-of-art deep learning to solve search matching and ranking problems, including spam filtering, new content indexing, and apply document understanding, and linguistic normalization.
· Perform analysis of data and metrics relevant to the search content and experiences
· Gathering search-technology related requirements from business owners, other tech teams, as well as by analyzing customer feedback
· Engaging in tech knowledge transfer with other teams
· Working with teams worldwide on global project
· The opportunity to work for a major online retailer
· The opportunity to apply state-of-art techniques of applied science
· An engaging work environment with excellent career opportunities
· A competitive salary including stock units and other benefit
· PhD or equivalent in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning, Statistics
· 4+ years of extensive experience applying theoretical models to real-world problems
· Business or native level English skills (including the ability to read and write technical papers in English)
· Publications in conferences or journals
· Skills with programming language like R, Python and/or Scala or similar scripting language
· Strong algorithm design and analytical skills
· A firm understanding of basic programming principles, data structures, Linux
· A genuine passion for improving the Amazon search experience as part of an exciting and dynamic team
· Significant peer reviewed scientific contributions in relevant field
· Expertise on a broad set of practical experience of applying techniques in a production setting, including Deep Learning, statistics, NLP, Recommendation systems and or information retrieval
· Strong fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis
· Experience in more than one more major programming languages (Java, C++ or similar) and at least one scripting language (Python, or similar)
· Strong personal interest in learning, researching, and creating new technologies with high commercial impact
· Experience with development practices in an industry setting
· Great verbal and written communication and presentation skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts