Alexa is Amazon's new cloud-based voice service for building engaging and intelligent voice experiences for services and devices, like the groundbreaking Amazon Echo and Amazon Fire TV. Our mission is to push the envelope in Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), and Audio Signal Processing, in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As an Applied Science Manager for the Alexa team you will be responsible for leading a team of machine learning scientists in the field of automatic speech recognition (ASR) and/or natural language understanding (NLU).
The responsibilities include the strategic aspects of setting long term research directions as well as the tactical aspects of addressing customer pain points, setting priorities, and driving the design, development, and deployment of ASR and/or NLU technology. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will hire and develop your team, build customer-facing experiences, and manage your own projects.
As a member of the technical team you will be responsible for...
· Owning the strategic planning and project management for long term research projects creating value for our customers.
· Analyzing customer data and addressing customer pain points.
· Conducting and coordinating research leading to improved accuracy of Alexa's ASR and/or NLU capabilities.
· Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from research teams, software engineering teams, and other technical and business teams.
· Managing the day-to-day activities of the research team.
· Hiring and developing researchers.
· Staying up-to-date with trends, papers, and academia.
· Graduate degree in engineering, computer science, or mathematics, and 10+ years of related experience OR a PhD and 5+ years of related work experience
· Theoretical knowledge and hands-on experiences in speech recognition, natural language understanding and machine learning.
· Knowledge in multiple speech and natural language areas.
· Research track record with peer-reviewed publications in academic conferences and journals in the related areas.
· PhD in Quantitative field
· Project management experience desired for working on cross-functional projects
· Experience in building complex, real-time software systems involving speech recognition & natural language algorithms that have been successfully delivered to customers, preferably on mobile devices.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Ability to rapidly prototype and evaluate customer applications and interaction methodologies.
· Excellent written and verbal technical communication.
· Able to explain complex solutions in easy-to-understand terms.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation speech-jobs