The Director of Economics, WW Consumer Finance will lead a team of Data Scientists, Economists and Software Engineers responsible for reporting and attribution on changes to the Worldwide Consumer business due to both Macro (external) and Micro (internal) factors.
The existing team focuses on Macro factors and delivers business insights by building automated tools and algorithms to understand the impact of trends and shocks (e.g. Brexit, Hurricanes) on Amazon customer behavior. The team’s mission is to provide Amazon’s Consumer Shopping business with tools and analysis to measure, test, and predict the impact of external events and trends on our customers’ interaction with the Consumer business. The team owns software systems that provide tools for scaling data science and econometric insights to Financial Analysts, provides advanced analysis education, and manages external data that benefits the WW Consumer organization.
In addition to leading the existing team, the Director will build out a Micro attribution capability. The Micro function will add the tools and skill sets necessary to quickly report on causal attribution for internal Amazon changes. The Micro team will have the audit capability to track how projected downstream program benefits are actually realized and adjust future projections accordingly. The Micro function will rely on data science capability and tooling to be able to accommodate the more granular Micro data and rapidly changing internal business drivers.
The Director will also provide thought leadership and career development coaching to other Data Scientists and Economists embedded on other teams throughout the WW Consumer Finance organization. The Director and his/her team will be a central science resource, and will provide consulting and governance across the WW Consumer Finance organization.
We are looking for a seasoned economist and leader who is able to lead a multi-disciplinary team of experts into success through innovation and cross-functional collaborations, with the ability to translate science and data into practical advice that the business will use to make decisions. In this role you’ll need to be a strategic thought partner who brings people together across functions, a persuasive executive coach, and an organized and inspiring team leader.
· PhD in Economics or highly related field (Finance, Statistics, Math)
· 15+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
· Experience managing and leading teams
· Experience in applied economic analysis and with big data and machine learning or data science
· Modeling ability in a scripting language such as R, Python, Matlab, or STATA
· Strong research track record, drives results
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Effective verbal and written communications skills
· Exhibits business judgment
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Dives deep, thinks big and has convictions