The Amazon Search team creates powerful, customer-focused search technologies. Whenever a customer visits an Amazon site worldwide and types in a query or browses through product categories, Product Search services go to work. We design, develop, and deploy high performance, fault-tolerant distributed search systems used by millions of Amazon customers every day. Our team works to maximize the quality and trustworthiness of the search experience for visitors to Amazon websites worldwide.
Our mission is to provide a confident shopping experience for all Amazon Search customers. We identify problems that are customer trust busters, deliver scalable and responsive solutions to these issues using advanced machine learning techniques, and build experiences that gain customer trust. We carefully monitor the search results and dive deep when we see an unusual patterns of engagement to detect any form of abuse.
In this role you will lead the search abuse mitigation team to build and deploy the next generation of our machine learning methods to discover untrustworthy search engagements, unusual patterns, and reduce the customer search impressions on untrustworthy items. You should be comfortable in operating with large amounts of data, web scale infrastructure, and distributed platforms. This role requires a pragmatic technical leader to deal with ambiguity, capable of summarizing complex data and models through clear visual and written explanations. The ideal candidate will have experience implemented and worked with scientists/engineers to develop machine learning, graph, or information retrieval algorithms at scale and deploy them to production. Additionally, we are seeking candidates with strong rigor in engineering, creativity, curiosity, and great judgment.
· Master’s or PhD in a Computer Science, Statistics or related fields.
· 10+ years professional management experience in managing software development or applied science teams
· Proficiency in C++, Java, or C programming languages.
· Ability to solve complex technical problems and design robust, scalable solutions
· Ability to understand cutting edge scientific models and adapt them for Amazon use-case
· Ability to think critically and actively contribute to strategic choices
· Ability to take a project from initial scoping requirements through actual launch and support of the project
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both technical and non-technical discussions
· Strong sense of ownership with an entrepreneurial ‘think big’ mind-set.
· Familiarity with AWS services.
· Hands-on experience developing production code in C++ or Java, as well as high-level scripting languages like Python.
· Deep understanding of system architecture and OO design
· At least 3 years of hands-on experience developing large-scale data processing pipelines or analytics in production (e.g., Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Presto, Kafka, Airflow, and similar).
· 6+ years of hands-on experience of deploying Machine Learning systems that run within a web based system/application.
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications