Fast forward 20 years. You are gathered around the dinner table with friends, and they ask you about your earlier days at Amazon. Their eyes widen as you describe how you helped lay the foundation for Amazon’s future retail technology.
If this is a scene you would like to make reality as part of your own regret minimization framework, join our team today. We are developing a project that is fundamental to Amazon’s future. We will tackle some of the world’s most intriguing problems software architecture design, customer experience, and business strategy. We are building customer-focused software that can serve many fast growing businesses for decades to come. This strategic project will give you the opportunity for regular reviews with the company’s senior leaders. The scope of the project is set to scale rapidly for the next few years post launch.
We are looking for a seasoned senior economist who is able to provide structure, including sourcing, defining, and leveling, around complex and varied business problems. We seek creative thinkers who can combine a strong economic toolbox with a desire to learn from others, and who know how to execute and deliver on big ideas. As an ideal candidate, you will have a track record of delivering with high standards for customers; of scaling yourself and your team for fast growth; and you will have demonstrated Invent and Simplify. Most important, you understand how to deliver while earning trust within and for your team.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
· Design and analysis of version-zero (V0) experiments and define and analyze success metrics across marketing, segmentation, and pricing.
· Own the development of economic models and manage the data analysis, modeling, and experimentation necessary to validate your model.
· Effectively communicate econometric models to business teams and incorporate feedback into project analysis/modeling
· Identify opportunities/tests that drive product discovery, new customer acquisition or purchase frequency with the end goal to drive growth.
· Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results.
· While the scope will be focused on US, the economist will also partner with economists and think of projects with global scope.
· PhD in Economics or highly related field (Marketing, Finance, Statistics, Math)
· 8+ years of experience in industry, consulting, government, or academic research
· Experience in applied economic analysis and with big data and machine learning or data science
· Coding ability in a scripting language such as R, Python, Matlab, or STATA
· Must have a proven record of bringing high impact statistical models to production at scale.
· Must have the ability to communicate relevant scientific insights from data to senior business leaders.
· Strong background in program evaluation methods, empirical industrial organization methods, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Experience applying economics combined with machine learning or data science techniques.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.