You: Alexa, I am looking for a new career opportunity, where I could do innovative development in AI and impact millions of customers, what do you suggest?
Alexa: The Alexa Shopping team is looking for Applied Scientists to help me become the best personal shopping assistant. Do you want to hear more?
You: Yes, please!
The Alexa Shopping team is looking for Applied Scientists to build the next generation of shopping assistants.
As an applied scientist in Alexa Shopping, you will be responsible for the research, design and development of new natural language, search, and machine learning technologies for voice shopping. You will be working with top scientists and engineers, as well as with product teams and other research partners, both locally and abroad. Your work will combine data mining, systems and software development, exploration of new technologies, as well as publications and presentations at top scientific conferences.
The ideal candidates have deep expertise in one or several of the following fields: Information Retrieval, Web search, Web data mining, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence. An ideal candidate shows a bias for action and has a strong understanding of empirical methods. The ability to write clearly and speak convincingly as evidenced through participation in academic conferences and service in the scientific community are a must.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
· PhD or equivalent Master's Degree plus 4+ years of experience in CS, CE, ML or related field
· 2+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Masters or Ph.D in Computer Science or Language Science
· Strong technical credentials, with at least 2 years of experience working in ML, speech recognition, natural language understanding, computer visions etc.
· Experience applying theoretical models in an applied environment, solid fundamentals in problem solving, algorithm design and complexity analysis.
· Proficient with mathematical programming libraries
· Experience conducting analyses, and developing different types of supervised and unsupervised models for complex projects
· Experience with defining organizational research and development practices in an industry setting.
· Expert in more than one more major programming languages (C++, Java, or similar) and at least one scripting language (Perl, Python, or similar).
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary to succeed within the team:
· A track record of communicating well with software engineers and non-technical leaders in speech technology
· Recognized as an industry leader in the fields of natural language processing or computational linguistics
· Experience in organization of scientific and pedagogic events such as conferences and universities.
· Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including an ability to effectively collaborate with research and technical teams, and earn the trust and influence senior stakeholders.
· Experience in defining research vision and getting buy-in from senior research and business leader across the company.