Are you excited about customer-facing research and reinventing the way people think about long-held assumptions? At Amazon, we are constantly inventing and re-inventing to be the most customer-centric company in the world. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Amazon is one of the most recognizable brand names in the world and we distribute millions of products each year to our loyal customers.
The F3 (Fresh, Food, Fast) organization leads the innovation of Amazon’s ultra-fast grocery product initiatives. Our key vision is to transform the online grocery experience and provide a wide grocery selection in order to be the primary destination to fulfill customer’s food shopping needs. The F3 Supply Chain team builds and operates world class grocery supply chain systems and infrastructure to deliver growth for the business globally. We’re growing in scale and volume, by orders of magnitude. We are a team of passionate tech builders who work endlessly to make life better for our customers through amazing, thoughtful, and creative new grocery shopping experiences. To succeed, we need senior leaders to forge a path into the future by building innovative, maintainable, and scalable systems.
Grocery Supply Chain (GSC) team is opening a position for a L6 level Economist to work with the lead scientists in the grocery space on long term research projects. The focus of the position is on scientific work. Beyond supporting and collaborating with the other scientists, mainly on long run projects, commensurate with the more senior level the expectation is that the candidate also proposes and executes own research projects. Long term projects that are in the planning stages include pricing, supply chain/procurement, etc. The research projects consist of a mixture of theoretical and empirical work and require a broad skill set with particular emphasis on data analytic and econometric tools. An important skill required for this position is to help ensure that these projects will be executed. In line with the different facets of research, this position requires experience with empirical work and associated empirical methods. In as far as these abilities need to be extended, the position also involves the expectation and the opportunity to learn additional tools. In addition to the scientific skill set, the position also requires communication with business stake holders and collaboration with software engineers.
· Ph.D. in Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or a related quantitative field
· 2+ years of relevant industrial research experience in economics, pricing, supply chain management, simulation or a closely related field
· Hands-on experience in building end-to-end mathematical models and prototyping
· Deep expertise in economics, statistical techniques, machine learning and simulation
· Experience building, iterating, and validating predictive data models from scratch
· Fluency in data analysis languages (e.g., R, Python, SAS, etc.) or other statistical software
· Expert in one or proficient in more than one major programming language (Mosel, AMPL, Python, C/C++/Java, SSJ, Matlab, Arena, etc.)
· Strong communication, influencing, and partnership skills
· Experience with large data sets, big data and analytics
· Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
· Experience with data engineering and/or methods used in Big Data analytics
· Expertise in prototyping with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system
· Experience and/or academic research in area of online retail and competition with brick and mortar stores; mechanism design and coordination/contracting within supply chains
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.