At Amazon, we are working to be the most Customer-centric company on earth. If you would like to help us build an excellent delivery experience, this is your chance to make history. The Worldwide(WW) Delivery Experience team continues to innovate with delivery speed initiatives for customers in our most dense urban areas with the objective ensuring Amazon continues to own ‘fast’ in the minds of our customers.
The DEX Delivery Team is looking for a superstar Senior Data Scientist with strong quantitative skills and business acumen to advise and support WW Delivery Speed programs. In this role, you will improve the Delivery Speed team’s business insights and understanding of program performance using best in class data science solutions (ex. statistics, time-series, and ML modelling). You are highly skilled in a quantitative science discipline and have deep knowledge of disparate techniques and methodologies to solve highly complex and ambiguous problems. You will be at the center of Speed related insights, partnering with Business Intelligence Engineers, Data Engineers, Software Development Engineers, and Product Managers to identify opportunities of measurement and implementing your analyses in a scalable way. You will be responsible for gathering and utilizing large datasets from disparate sources, proactively inventing and scaling new data science solutions to improve the way in which our business is measured and evaluated, as well as helping to set the organization’s data science strategy. The ideal candidate will be passionate about working with big data sets and have the subject matter expertise to design the optimal scientific solution.
The successful candidate will be able to proactively identify existing blind spots in current metrics, appropriately weigh technical trade-offs for short/long term needs, anticipate data access patterns and remove bottlenecks from existing or created systems, as well as retrieve and integrate data efficiently. This role requires an individual with excellent technical skills as well as an interest in learning the business. The successful candidate will be a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, who has a strong attention to detail, and ability to influence cross functionally. The position will located in Seattle, WA.
· Lead the design, implementation, and delivery of data science solutions for significantly complex problems that have a long-term impact on the WW DEX Speed business
· Propose new mechanisms, measurements, and proactively “re-structure” data sources to better serve DEX Speed Business Intelligence and Analytics needs
· Understands how to assess and select an ideal solution approach from a wide range of data science methodologies.
· Author well-written and factually correct technical documents outlining key analytical and methodological components to share with stakeholders of varying technical knowledge.
· Keep up to date with advances in the data science community and find opportunities to implement them
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in a quantitative/technical or related field (e.g. Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Economics, Engineering).
· 5+ years of relevant experience in one of the following areas: Data engineering, database engineering, business intelligence or business analytics
· Advanced experience with math/stats software (R, Matlab, SAS, Stata) or other domain specific software
· 3+ years of experience in scripting languages like Python etc.
· Advanced ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the stakeholders and senior management as required.
· 5+ years of hands-on experience in writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets
· Experience with Big Data Technologies (Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, etc.)
Experience in working and delivering end-to-end projects independently.
· Graduate degree in Statistics, Applied Math, or another quantitative field preferred.
· Track record of successful Data Science solutions for the business with minimal assistance.
· Familiarity with supply chain management concepts - forecasting, planning, optimization, and logistics - gained through work experience or graduate level education.
· Be self-driven, and show ability to deliver on ambiguous projects with minimal direction.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills