Alexa’s Entity Resolution team is looking for an experienced Applied Science Manager to build industry-leading technologies in natural language understanding. Alexa is the voice activated digital assistant powering devices like Amazon Echo, Echo Dot and Fire TV. Our team's mission is to enable Alexa to break down language barriers for our customers.
As an Applied Science Manager, you will lead a team of exceptional scientists to develop novel algorithms and modeling techniques to advance the state of the art in speech based information retrieval. You will work in a hybrid, fast-paced organization where scientists and engineers work together and drive improvements to production. You will collaborate with and mentor other scientists to raise the bar of scientific research in Amazon. Your work will directly impact our customers in the form of products and services that make use of speech and language technology.
We are looking for a leader with strong technical experience, demonstrated progression of management scope, and a passion for managing Science talent in a fast-paced environment. In addition to technical depth, you must possess exceptional project management and communication skills, and understand how to coach a team. As a Science leader you will:
· Manage and mentor other scientists and engineers, review and guide their work, help develop roadmaps for the team and provide coaching for career development
· Contribute directly to our growth by hiring smart and motivated Scientists and managers to establish teams that can deliver swiftly and predictably, adjusting in an agile fashion to deliver what our customers need.
· Work closely with other teams across Alexa to deliver platform features that require cross-team leadership.
· Represent your business and operations to the highest level of leadership within Amazon.
If you are looking for a challenging and innovative role where you can solve important problems while growing as a leader, this may be the place for you.
· Graduate degree (MS) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics.
· More than 6 years of industrial/academic experience in data science, machine learning or a related field.
· Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs.
· Experience with leadership of experienced scientists as well as a record of developing junior members from academia/industry to a career track in a business environment.
· Familiar with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Perl or Python
· PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
· Direct experience in the search or informational retrieval space.
· More than 10 years of industrial/academic experience in building speech recognition, natural language processing, machine translation systems (e.g. commercial speech products or government speech projects)
· Demonstrated experience to manage an industrial research team for at least 3 years.
· Demonstrated ability to mentor other Scientists
· Strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
· Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast pace environment
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.