Ever wonder how you can keep the world’s largest selection also the world’s safest and legally compliant selection? Then come join a team with the charter to monitor and classify the billions of items in the Amazon catalog to ensure compliance with various legal regulations.
Our mission is to enable business users to self-serve build, deploy, maintain and improve prod cut classifiers at Amazon catalog scale. To enable this mission, one needs an ecosystem that proactively interacts and assists its users in delivering a robust ML solution. A self-serve product classification system that proactively engages with its user in a near real-time fashion by providing intuitive “insights and biases” about a model’s learning and seeks user feedback enabling continuous re-learning and correction.
In this role, you will have an opportunity to lead state of the art machine learning algorithms on large datasets. You will need to lead & build Amazon scale applications running on Amazon Cloud that both leverage and create new technologies to process large volumes of data that derive patterns and conclusions from the data.
We are seeking an Applied Science Manager who has a solid background in applied Machine Learning and AI, deep passion for building data-driven products; ability to communicate data insights and scientific vision, and has a proven track record of leading both applied scientists and software engineers to execute complex projects and deliver business impacts.
In this role, you will:
· Lead a group applied scientists (predominantly) and software engineers to deliver machine-learning and AI solutions to production.
· Advance team's engineering craftsmanship and drive continued scientific innovation as a thought leader and practitioner.
· Develop science and engineering roadmap, run Sprint/quarter and annual planning, and foster cross-team collaboration to execute complex projects.
· Perform hands-on data analysis, build machine-learning models, run regular A/B tests, and communicate the impact to senior management.
· Hire and develop top talents, provide technical and career development guidance to both scientists and engineers in the organization.
· Master’s or PhD in a Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics or related fields.
· 7+ years professional management experience in managing applied science teams
· Proficiency in C++, Java, or C programming languages.
· Ability to solve complex technical problems and design robust, scalable solutions
· Ability to understand cutting edge scientific models and adapt them for Amazon use-case
· Ability to think critically and actively contribute to strategic choices
· Ability to take a project from initial scoping requirements through actual launch and support of the project
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both technical and non-technical discussions
· Strong sense of ownership with an entrepreneurial ‘think big’ mind-set.
· Familiarity with AWS services.
· Hands-on experience developing production code in C++ or Java, as well as high-level scripting languages like Python.
· Deep understanding of system architecture and OO design
· At least 3 years of hands-on experience developing large-scale data processing pipelines or analytics in production (e.g., Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Presto, Kafka, Airflow, and similar).
· 6+ years of hands-on experience of deploying Machine Learning systems that run within a web based system/application.
· Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
· Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation