Are you inspired by invention? Is problem solving through teamwork in your DNA? Do you like the idea of seeing how your work impacts the bigger picture? Answer yes to any of these and you’ll fit right in here at Amazon. We are a smart team of doers that work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and software to solve real-world challenges that will transform our customers’ experiences in ways we can’t even imagine yet.
As a Manager, Applied Science, you will wear many different hats and work on multiple components of the entire system, in a highly collaborative environment that’s more startup than big company. You will tackle problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems.
You will also help in defining the creative vision, product requirements, and user experience for this robotics program. Working with a cross-disciplinary team of analysts, designers, hardware engineers, and researchers, you will define and drive the product from concept all the way through to production.
You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. Clear communication and prioritization will be important as you plan, design, and deliver the best experience for millions of customers. Your passion for the potential of using technology to improve people’s lives, and your experience leading complex technology projects will help you make strong business judgments.
If you’re entrepreneurial and want to build and own transformative technology-driven products, join us in making history.
As a part of this role, you will:
· Lead the design and implementation of a cutting-edge technology in the Robotics space, focusing on SLAM.
· Build and manage a team of Scientists.
· Foster career growth and a strong team culture.
· Recruit, hire, mentor, and coach technical staff.
· Interface with our internal customers to understand requirements, set priorities and communicate direction and progress.
· Own all operational metrics and support for your team.
· Manage the agile development process and methodology to deliver incremental value to customers.
· Help develop long-term roadmaps and business technology strategies.
· PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, or a closely related field
· 5+ years of experience developing localization and mapping solutions for Robotics, Autonomous Cars or Augmented Reality
· Experience with pose estimation, SLAM, probabilistic filtering, 3D reconstruction or similar field
· Familiarity with machine learning and statistical modeling techniques, scientific thinking, and the ability to apply these skills to real-world applications.
· 3+ years’ experience managing science teams, hiring and developing science talent.
· 5+ years’ experience developing software on Python, ROS, C, and C++
· Experience tackling difficult, complex software and mathematical problems that do not have easy off-the-shelf solutions
· Experience with Agile software development methodologies
· Experience with system level development for software and hardware
· Experience in creating the right culture and environment to ensure a diverse group of people and skillsets can flourish and deliver true breakthrough science and innovation
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender / Sexual Orientation. #DRPM