The Global Delivery Services (GDS) organization strives to deliver packages to Amazon’s customers with fast and reliable delivery speeds at the lowest cost. Providing a high quality delivery service requires a carefully optimized outbound transportation network design that makes the right tradeoffs between cost, speed and DEA in order to maximize the Long-term Free Cash Flow (LTFCF).
The NA-Customer Delivery Excellence (CDE) team within the GDS org uses machine learning, econometrics, and data science to identify opportunities for Amazon’s NA Transportation network with an objective to enhance Amazon’s ability to deliver packages to customers in faster, cheaper and reliable manner. We generate insights to guide long term strategy as well as provide short and medium term plans for our execution teams. We use detailed customer ordering data (eg: location, frequency) and detailed information about the fulfillment process (inventory placement, capacities, SLAs, on-time performance) to predict and understand the delivery speed and quality we are offering to our customers.
We are looking for a motivated Data Scientist to build, optimize and productize cutting edge machine learning models. A successful candidate will have strong quantitative, data mining, statistical modeling, machine learning skills and is comfortable facilitating ideation and working from concept through to execution. The position will partner with Engineering, Supply Chain teams, Finance and Technology teams to enhance short term and long term predictions that use a range of data science methodologies to automate data analysis or to solve complex business problems for the NA Transportation network.
Responsibilities include building automated tools and support structures needed to analyze data, design metrics for complex systems, dive deep to determine root cause of forecast errors & changes, create statistical definition of the outliers and methodologies to systematically identify and mitigate model variance drivers.
A qualified candidate must have demonstrated ability to develop and manage medium to large-scale models and methodologies that are statistically grounded but also functional and practical. Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills, proven ability to engage and collaborate with customers to drive improvements. Possess high intellectual curiosity with ability to quickly learn new concepts/frameworks, algorithms and technology. Key responsibilities of CDE data scientists include the following:
· Research machine learning algorithms and implement by tailoring to particular business needs and test on large datasets.
· Manipulating/mining data from databases (Redshift, SQL Server, Oracle DW) and create automated metrics using complex databases
· Collaborate with BI/Data Engineer teams and drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources to continually improve data quality
· Helping build production grade systems to support decision making with an objective of optimizing the network design to improve customer experience and grow the Amazon business.
· Improving model usability by analyzing customer behavior and by gathering requirements from business owners and other tech teams. Incorporating new data sources and implementing creative methodologies to improve model performance.
· Creating and tracking accuracy and performance metrics. Root cause and research process breakdowns
· Foster culture of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
· Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Economics or a related field
· 5+ years of experience producing models and analytics for business applications
· Breadth of experience in standard machine-learning and statistical modeling tools and techniques (e.g. random forests, gradient-boosted regression, LASSO, logistic regression)
· Experience in programming in R, Python, Scala or similar languages and maintaining code repositories in git
· Proficiency with TABLEAU/R Shiny/Dash or other web based interfaces to create graphic-rich customizable plots, charts data maps etc
· Experience with data visualization and presentation, turning complex analysis into insight
· Excellent quantitative modeling, statistical analysis skills and problem-solving skills. Sophisticated user of statistical tools
· Experience in creating data driven visualizations to describe an end-to-end system
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. The role requires effective communication with colleagues from computer science, operations research and business backgrounds.
· Experience collaborating with software development teams, data scientists, business intelligence or other technical roles
· Excellent communication including direct correspondence with senior leadership
· Demonstrable track record dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in an agile, dynamic environment
· Experience with AWS features (S3, Redshift, Sagemaker)
Amazon offers competitive packages including comprehensive health care, 401(k), restricted stock units, growth potential and a challenging and exciting work environment.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.