Amazon Devices Demand Planning team is looking for an Applied/Research Science Manager with a background in Operations Research and Management Sciences. The Demand Planning team vision is to determine which device each customer wants to buy, and ensure that every customer’s choice is available for them to purchase at the time and place they desire, delivered at the lowest possible cost to Amazon.
We develop sophisticated algorithms that involve learning from large amounts of past data, such as actual sales, prices, promotions, similar products and product’s attributes in order to forecast the demand for all Amazon devices and to use these forecasts to determine if we should green-light products, the level of investment in capital expenditures, ordering material, managing inventory and determining financial performance. We also work closely with Supply Chain and Logistics teams to optimize our inventory allocation in our worldwide channels given operational constraints.
We are looking for a proven leader to help lead our Research Science team as we build a team of talented and passionate scientists to deliver the Next Gen Devices Optimization/Solver platform. We're looking for a Manager, Applied/Research Science who combines exceptional technical, research and analytical capabilities to build and lead a team that will be integral to the continued business growth of the Devices Organization. As a Science Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of researchers and data experts in the design, development, testing, and deployment models. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, with strong attention to detail, an ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment and a desire to help share the overall business.
You will have an opportunity to work on large mathematical problems, with large elements of unpredictability. Specifically, you will lead and guide the team to write and solve linear and mixed-integer problems to find optimal solutions to build decisions given capacity constraints and the demand distributions. You will also drive process changes that comes with automation and smarter optimization. You are an individual with outstanding analytical abilities, communication skills, and are comfortable working with technical teams and systems. You will be responsible for leading the team that does researching, experimenting, prototyping, and analyzing forecasting strategies and mathematical models.
· Strategize and lead the Science team to deliver on the goals and roadmap for the Demand Planning Org.
· Collaborate with the Engineering, Product and the Business teams to deliver the right solutions.
· Influence organization's long term roadmap and resourcing, onboard new technologies onto Science team's toolbox, mentor other Scientists.
· M.S in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Management Science or a related field with 2+ years of industry experience.
· Proven leadership and experience in leading and launching Science projects.
· 5+ years of work experience in areas such as data analytics, operations research, data modeling, machine learning and large scale simulation.
· Demonstrated use of modeling and optimization techniques tailored to meet business needs and proven achievements in industrial production systems.
· 3+ years of direct people management experience including duties such as performance evaluation and career development.
· Experience as leader of a science team and developing junior members from academia/industry to a business environment
· PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering or a related field with 2+ years of industry experience
· Prior background in machine learning and forecasting is a plus
· Experience designing and supporting large-scale distributed systems in a production environment
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Java or C++/C#
· 1+ years of relevant development experience in Object-Oriented Design and Service Oriented Architecture