Are you interested in working on state-of-the-art problems in inventory placement, marketplace optimization, network design and fulfillment?
The Inventory Planning and Control (IPC) Science team is responsible for the optimization of Amazon's current supply chain, designing systems for predictive modeling of inventory and in designing future supply-chain networks.
We are looking for motivated scientists with strong leadership skills who desire to work at the intersection of machine learning, operations research, engineering development, and advanced large-inventory systems. Applications include adaptive systems for buying and pricing, seller economic modeling, real-time supply-chain optimization, robotics and control and dynamic resource management systems design.
The ideal candidate is a motivated individual with strong skills in building robust, stochastic modeling systems for applications suited to their strong machine learning background including classification, synthetic controls, and robotics and marketplace dynamical systems.
As a Research Scientist you will solve complex problems and design the next generation of algorithms to drive the optimization of Amazon’s Supply Chain. You will continue to contribute to the research community, by working with scientists across Amazon, as well as collaborating with academic researchers and publishing papers (www.aboutamazon.com/research).
What you'll do:
· Designing and implementing new features and machine learned models, including the application of state-of-art models in support of buying, pricing and inventory placement and selection.
· Conducting and coordinating process development leading to improved and streamlined processes for model development.
· Working closely with Product Managers to expand depth of our product insights with data, create a variety of experiments, and determine the highest-impact projects to include in planning roadmaps
· Providing technical and scientific guidance to your team members
· Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from science, engineering, and business backgrounds
· Build and validate prototypes to demonstrate the benefits from proposed changes to the decision systems and operations.
To help describe some of our challenges, we created a short video about Supply Chain Optimization at Amazon - http://bit.ly/amazon-scot Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· PhD in Computer Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
· Knowledge of tools for large-scale data systems and the ability to manipulate data (e.g. SQL, Python, Perl, or Ruby).
· The ability to communicating technically, at a level appropriate for the audience.
· Experience designing and implementing large-scale modeling solutions and experience with leveraging such models to provide guidance for strategic and tactical business decision making.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with both technical and business people.
· Strong problem solving ability and dealing with ambiguity.
· Experience prototyping and developing software in traditional programming languages (C++/ Java/ Python/Perl)
· Experience implementing models and analysis tools through the use of high-level modeling languages (e.g. R, Julia, Matlab as examples)
· Understanding of technical project management techniques (e.g. Agile, scrum, Kanban etc.) for effective communications with technical partners