Amazon opened its virtual doors in 1995 and strives to be the world’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online.
The Amazon Logistics team is offering positions to creative big thinkers who are passionate about using data to direct decision making and solve complex and large-scale challenges. We are looking for individuals with a strong interest in improving one of the world’s most complex logistic systems. As part of the Amazon Logistics team, we design and build systems that support planning decisions, measure and manage the last mile transportation, real estate investments, and resource planning.
As a Data Scientist, your main focus will be to perform analysis, build metrics, synthesize information, identify business opportunities, provide project direction, and communicate business and technical requirements within the team and across stakeholder groups. You are indispensable and own the quantification of business opportunities and identification of project direction prioritizing projects based on greatest return on investment. You consider the needs of day-to-day operations and insist on the standards required to build the network of tomorrow. Your job will straddle day-to-day decisions and strategic vision, you will assist in defining trade-offs and quantifying opportunities for a variety of projects. You will learn current processes, build metrics, educate diverse stakeholder groups, assist science groups in initial solution design, and audit all model implementation. A successful candidate in this position will have a background in communicating across significant differences, prioritizing competing requests, and quantifying decisions made. You will balance the trade-offs between customer experience, network speed, and cost, to measurably improve the network in a 3 to 6-month time-frame.
This position requires superior analytic thinkers, who are able to quickly approach large ambiguous problems and apply their technical and statistical knowledge to identify opportunities for further research. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a deep understanding of identifying meaningful key performance indicators and building actionable metrics. This candidate is passionate about providing insights that drive larger initiatives and sees the undeniable value of a good metric. You should be able to independently mine and analyze data, and be able to use any necessary programming and statistical analysis software to do so. Successful candidates must thrive in fast-paced environments which encourage collaborative and creative problem solving and be able to measure and estimate risks.
About our rewards
We’ll expect you to go the extra mile, but we’ll also make sure you’re well rewarded. As well as a competitive salary and stock units, we offer a whole host of other benefits, including an employee discount.
There are other, more intangible rewards too. Like our commitment to your development, a refreshing lack of hierarchy, the chance to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry, plenty of team spirit and an informal atmosphere – suits and ties are few and far between.
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
· Masters in Statistics, Mathematics, Business Analytics, or related quantitative discipline.
· Deep understanding of regression modeling, forecasting techniques, time series analysis, machine-learning concepts such as supervised and unsupervised learning, classification, random forest, etc.
· Experience in developing machine-learning algorithms, statistical and mathematical optimization models, and simulation and visualization tools
· Familiarity with managing disparate data sets; including, building and maintaining data flows and pipelines
· Experience with SQL and at least one scripting language (preferable Python)
· Exposure to big data: extraction, processing, filtering, and presenting large data quantities (100K to Millions of rows) via AWS technologies, SQL, and data pipelines
· Industry experience in defining and building metrics, performing business analysis, and quantifying decisions through the utilization of data
· Ability to communicate technical concepts and solutions at a level appropriate for technical and non-technical audiences
· PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Business Analytics, or related quantitative discipline.
· Experience applying forecasting and data mining techniques in an industrial setting.
· Experience with processing, analyzing, and modeling with geo-spatial data
· Demonstrable experience in leveraging analytics to generate business value especially in related business sectors such as Logistics and Supply Chains, Transportation, and Engineering.
· Fluency in a scripting or computing language (e.g. Python, R, Java, C++, etc.)
· Experience with big data: extraction, processing, filtering, and presenting large data quantities (100K to Millions of rows) via AWS technologies, SQL, and data pipelines
· Experience with agile/scrum methodologies and its benefits of keeping scientists on track and iteratively delivering results.
· Familiarity with Logistics/Supply Chain, or related Businesses.
· Expert knowledge of SQL