Amazon strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company. To achieve this, we hire the world's brightest minds, offering them a fast paced, technologically sophisticated and friendly work environment.
Economists for Amazon will be expected to work directly with senior management on key business problems faced in retail and marketing. The role allows you to influence company-wide strategy by applying the frontier of economic thinking to forecasting, program evaluation, customer behavior and other areas. Economists at Amazon will be expected to develop new techniques to process large data sets, use econometric models and methods to address complex problems, design and test hypothesis on customer pain points and key growth ideas and contribute to design of automated systems around the company.
We are looking for a results-driven Economist to join the Grocery marketing organization. The team is focused on driving awareness and adoption of grocery delivery as a new Prime benefit. The team is dedicated to innovating and failing fast with minimal resources.
Economists will work closely with other research scientists, machine learning experts, and economists globally to design new frameworks for understanding online and omnichannel customer behavior. Research science at Amazon is a highly experimental activity, although theoretical analysis and innovation are also welcome. Our economists and scientists work closely with software engineers to put algorithms into practice. They also work on cross-disciplinary efforts with other scientists within Amazon. This role demands a high capacity to Learn and Be Curious as we need to be constantly adapting to changes in our business and be up to speed on the latest systems, tools, and techniques for extracting, processing, analyzing, modeling, and taking action on data.
The key strategic objectives for this role include:
· Provide data-driven guidance and recommendations on strategic questions for understanding downstream customer behavior
· Design experiments and define and analyze success metrics
· Identify opportunities/tests that drive product discovery, new customer acquisition or purchase frequency with the end goal to drive growth.
· Conduct, direct, and coordinate all phases of research projects, demonstrating skill in all stages of the analysis process, including defining key research questions, recommending measures, working with multiple data sources, evaluating methodology and design, executing analysis plans, interpreting and communicating results.
· Must have PhD in Economics.
· Must have experience in retail, e-commerce, or similar industries.
· Must have a proven record of bringing high impact statistical models to production at scale.
· Must have the ability to communicate relevant scientific insights from data to senior business leaders.
· Strong background in program evaluation methods, applications to business problems, and/or big data.
· Experience in Python, Stata, R and/or Scala.
· Experience applying economics combined with machine learning or data science techniques.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced business environment.
· Strong research track record.
· Effective verbal and written communications skills.
· Preferred specialties in applied micro or empirical IO, but behavioral economists and generalists with broad applied econometric skills are also encouraged to apply.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.