What do you like most about shopping at Amazon? Huge product selection? Amazon’s catalog has billions of items. Despite its mind-boggling size and variety, it remains the best in the business. That’s no accident! We use state of the art machine learning techniques and cloud computing technologies to keep it that way. A vast and high quality product catalog is a key strategic asset for Amazon that sets us apart from our competitors. Come help us make the world’s best product catalog even better and influence the way millions of customers shop.
In this role, you will own scientific solutions to a large set of customer-facing product catalog issues that influence critical business processes and product discovery. you will have an opportunity to lead state of the art machine learning algorithms on large datasets. You will need to lead & build Amazon scale applications running on Amazon Cloud that both leverage and create new technologies to process large volumes of data that derive patterns and conclusions from the data.
We are seeking an Applied Science Manager who has a strong background in applied Machine Learning and AI, deep passion for building data-driven products; ability to communicate data insights and scientific vision, and has a proven track record of leading both applied scientists and software engineers to execute complex projects and deliver business impacts.
In this role, you will:
· Lead a group of applied scientists to deliver machine-learning and AI solutions to production
· Advance the team's craftsmanship and drive continued scientific innovation as a thought leader and practitioner
· Develop science roadmaps, run monthly/quarterly/yearly planning, and foster cross-team collaboration to execute complex projects
· Perform hands-on data analysis, build machine-learning models, run regular A/B tests, and communicate the impact to senior management
· Hire and develop top talent, provide technical and career development guidance to both scientists and engineers in the organization
· Master’s or PhD in a Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics or related fields.
· 5+ years professional management experience in managing applied science teams
· Proficiency in Python, C++, Java, or C programming languages.
· Ability to solve complex technical problems and design robust, scalable solutions
· Ability to understand cutting edge scientific models and adapt them for Amazon use-case
· Ability to think critically and actively contribute to strategic choices
· Ability to take a project from initial scoping requirements through actual launch and support of the project
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both technical and non-technical discussions
· Strong sense of ownership with an entrepreneurial ‘think big’ mind-set.
· Familiarity with AWS services.
· PhD in a Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics or related fields.
· Hands-on experience developing production code in C++ or Java, as well as high-level scripting languages like Python.
· Deep understanding of system architecture and OO design
· At least 3 years of hands-on experience developing large-scale data processing pipelines or analytics in production (e.g., Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Presto, Kafka, Airflow, and similar).
· 6+ years of hands-on experience of deploying Machine Learning systems that run within a web based system/application.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation