Want to build and lead a science team to apply econometrics, machine learning, statistics, and data science to enable Amazon’s continuous process improvement initiatives?
The Product and Customer Insights team is a group of process improvement measurement SMEs working with senior leadership to identify, measure, benchmark, and propagate best practices from within Amazon and across industries. Our team has delivered many successful programs in the B2C space globally, including Catalog Tech, Supply Chain, Search Tech, Supplier Experience, Customer Experience, Brand Experience, Developer Experience, etc., helping Business and DevOps teams improve Amazon’s products and operations.
We are looking for a seasoned leader to grow and lead a talented team of data scientists to elevate our process improvement methodology by applying economic theories, Machine Learning and statistics. In this role you have the opportunity to impact multiple Amazon businesses and technologies (e.g., Search, Ads, AWS Sales, Seller Experience, Brand Experience, Scientist Experience, to name a few); and you will have opportunities to work with the lead economists and scientists in our stakeholder teams. This role will experiment with applying econometrics in a few selected domains first while applying data science more broadly across our program portfolio. Long-term, this role’s goal is to help apply economic thinking and economics/data science tools to majority of our process improvement programs.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated exceptional communication skills to drive changes, experience in leading cross-functional teams, and experience in applying economic thinking in either product development, sales, services, or operations. You have a proven ability executing both strategically and tactically, and are excited to take on new, ambiguous programs that will be industry defining.
This role can be based in either HQ2 (Arlington, VA) or Seattle, WA.
· Lead and develop our Science team: Continuously enhance our team’s science skills through learning, experiments, and execution and drive innovations. Review and audit modeling processes and results for other scientists, both junior and senior.
· Inject economic thinking to product development and vision: Identifies opportunities to apply economic theories and define the problem and roadmap to solve it. Brings the economic perspective to areas such as benchmarking studies and team decision making.
· Influences the strategic direction (business and technology). Influences clients, partners, and Amazon products and DevOps org priorities.
· You will work closely with leaders across science, engineering, and business teams. You guide the Data Scientists’ work on programs, participate as an IC on strategic programs to apply economic thinking and analysis, and connect with Amazon’s economist community.
· Drive innovation based on global science and industry trends. Recognize emerging science trends and how to apply them to acquire insight and help improve Amazon’s offerings.
· PhD in Economics or related field
· 3+ years of experience in a postdoctoral position; or, two or more years of experience in consulting, government or academic research
· Hands on experience with at least one of the following: Matlab, R, Python, Stata
· Strong background in econometrics (e.g., program evaluation, forecasting, time series, panel data, and/or high dimensional problems), economic theory, and quantitative methods
· Experience in working with and growing teams of Economists and machine learning scientists
· Strong background in statistics methodology, applications to business problems, and/or big data
· Experience in a fast-paced business environment (e.g., On-line Retail, High-tech, Devices, Healthcare, and other high-volume B2C or B2B fields)
· Track records in research and applying theories to deliver products/services
· Global exposure highly preferred (via projects or studies)