The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Quantum Research Scientist in the Test and Measurement group located on the Caltech campus. You will join a multi-disciplinary team of theoretical and experimental physicists, materials scientists, and hardware and software engineers working at the forefront of quantum computing. Responsibilities include the optimization of two qubit gates, quantum limited multiplexed readout, automated calibration of large scale quantum systems, implementation of state-of-the-art quantum benchmarking techniques, and the development of complex control solutions.
Candidates have a strong background in experimental quantum computing and understand the challenges that come with scaling up quantum systems. We are looking for candidates with strong engineering principles, resourcefulness and a bias for action, superior problem solving and excellent communication skills. Working effectively within a team environment is essential. As a research scientist you will be expected to work on new ideas and stay abreast of the field of experimental quantum computation.
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. The work/life integration within Amazon encourages a culture where employees work hard and have ownership over their downtime. We are exploring more structured wellness elements including meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and a culture of sharing wellness tips.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of the Center for Quantum Computing. You will receive career-growth-minded management and mentorship from a software and science team and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs. You will work closely with quantum research scientists and have opportunities to learn about quantum computing technology and contribute to the development of scientific software for quantum computing at AWS.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
The AWS CQC is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With quantum computing being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
· PhD in physics, quantum information, electrical engineering, or equivalent experience
· Experience in testing and calibrating multi-qubit systems
· Proficient in a scientific programming environment (Python and/or Julia)
· Excellent skills in problem solving, organization, and communication
· Demonstrated experience in three of the following:
- Testing and analysis of superconducting microwave/RF circuits
- Two qubit gate optimization and system identification
- State-of-the-art quantum benchmarking techniques
- Multiplexed readout of quantum system
- Automation of complex experiments, analysis, and control instrumentation
· Comfortable developing low-level instrument control software
· Comfortable with software development best practices
· Troubleshooting and operation/construction of cryogenic hardware
· Experience with nanofabrication of chip scale devices