The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Hardware Development Engineer with experience in semiconductor process development – and a particular expertise in lithography techniques – who will aid in AWS’s effort to bring cloud quantum computing services to its worldwide customer base. Through your work inside and outside of the cleanroom environment in the device fabrication group, you will solve problems related to the fabrication and characterization of novel quantum processors.
Responsibilities include developing, improving and sustaining fabrication processes; analyzing inline metrology and electrical test data; and interacting with project leads to provide feedback that continuously improves the fabrication process. Candidates must have a demonstrated background in sound engineering principles, and must have superlative data analysis, problem solving, and communication skills. Successful candidates will have experience in photolithography and electron beam lithography processes and tools, e.g., mask aligners, DUV/iLine steppers, and 30-100 keV e-beam systems. Working effectively within a team environment is critical.
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. To that end, we have established an internal wellness program that offers, e.g., meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and other wellness tips & efforts. Further, the work/life integration within our team encourages a culture where employees work hard and also have ownership over their downtime. For our hardware engineers, we also offer flexible hours to help divide your time between lab and desk work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of CQC, and that includes our hardware engineers. You will receive management and mentorship from within the team that is geared toward career growth, and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs for engineers and scientists. Working closely with quantum research scientists will provide opportunities to learn about quantum computing.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
· BS in physics, applied physics, material science, electrical engineering or related field
· 2+ years of relevant industry experience (or equivalent lab experience in an MS or PhD program)
· Expertise in one or more of the following lithography processes and tools: mask aligners, DUV/iLine steppers, and 30-100 keV e-beam systems
· Good working knowledge in two or more of the following device fabrication areas: MEMS, wafer bonding, wire bonding, metal/dielectric thin film etching, metal/dielectric thin film deposition, CMP, epitaxy, process integration, and electron / ion / x-ray / scanning probe characterization tools
· Experience working on the mechanical, electrical and/or vacuum systems of fabrication tools, e.g. as a tool owner
· Basic programming skills (e.g. Python, Julia, MATLAB)
· Great problem solving and analytical skills
· Communication and data presentation skills
· Effective working in a team environment with other engineers, scientists and technicians who have a wide range of technical skill levels
· MS or higher in physics, applied physics, materials science, electrical engineering or related field
· Experience or knowledge in superconducting microwave devices or superconducting qubits is a plus
· Experience with quantum physics and quantum information technology is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .