The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing in Pasadena, CA, is looking to hire a Quantum Research Scientist with expertise in Microwave Engineering and Packaging. Working alongside physicists and engineers, you will design and validate microwave packaging solutions for qubit processors. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the design and analysis of microwave systems for cryogenic environments, qubit processor packaging solutions, and EMI/EMC shielding strategies. Candidates must have a strong background in Microwave Engineering and Packaging and have demonstrated the successful delivery of hardware through a complete product lifecycle (design, analysis, fabrication, testing, and integration). Additionally, candidates must have significant data analysis, problem solving, and communication skills. Working effectively within a multi-disciplinary team environment is critical.
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. To that end, we have established an internal wellness program that offers, e.g., meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and other wellness tips & efforts. Further, the work/life integration within our team encourages a culture where employees work hard and also have ownership over their downtime. For our research scientists, we also offer flexible hours to help divide your time between lab and desk work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of CQC, and that includes our research scientists. You will receive management and mentorship from within the team that is geared
toward career growth, and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs for scientists and engineers. Working closely with other quantum research scientists will provide opportunities to dive deep into an education on quantum computing.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
The AWS CQC is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds in order to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, curious, motivated, empathetic, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With Quantum being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
· MS/PhD in electrical engineering, physics, or applied physics
· 5+ years of relevant academic or industry experience in an engineering effort
· Expertise in EM modelling using Ansys HFSS, COMSOL
· Expertise in EMI/EMC shielding and other mitigation strategies
· Expertise in RF layout for PCBs
· Experience developing microwave system requirements and performance budgets
· Superior organization skills
· Superior problem solving and analytical skills
· Superior communication and data presentation skills
· Effective working in a team environment
· Experience with microwave systems in cryogenic environments
· Experience with superconducting qubit processor technology
· Experience working with standard lab equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, vector network analyzers, etc.)
· Experience managing a cross-disciplinary engineering effort
· Experience working closely with scientists and technicians of a variety of levels
· Knowledge of integrated circuit packaging techniques (wire bonding, flip chip bonding, solder ball attachment, etc.)
· Knowledge of physics and a curiosity/capability to learn new topics