The AWS Center for Quantum Computing is a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, and technicians, all working to innovate in quantum computing for the benefit of our customers.
We are looking for a Software Development Engineer to build solutions for enabling and automating quantum hardware research and development. You must be adaptable to shifting requirements in a research environment. You will be the vanguard of a larger software development effort embedded within the AWS Center for Quantum Computing. You will define, develop, and test software solutions to enable the team’s experimental research. You are familiar with AWS tools and services, and best practices governing their use. You must be comfortable working in an environment where non-software developers actively contribute to the code base, and be willing to provide mentorship during the software development process.
Responsibilities may include developing team wide data management solutions, building tools for the automation of experiments, developing continuous integration pipelines, coaching non-software developers, defining software requirements and refining a development roadmap, and participating in building the software development team. Your solutions will be scalable and secure, and are intended to support hardware R&D.
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. The work/life integration within Amazon encourages a culture where employees work hard and have ownership over their downtime. We are exploring more structured wellness elements including meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and a culture of sharing wellness tips.
Mentorship and Career Growth
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of the Center for Quantum Computing. You will receive career-growth-minded management and mentorship from a software and science team and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs. You will work closely with quantum research scientists and have opportunities to learn about quantum computing technology and contribute to the development of scientific software for quantum computing at AWS.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
The AWS CQC is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With quantum computing being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
· Experienced with AWS tools and services for code development and data management solutions
· 7+ years industry experience in software development and delivery
· Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as Python, Julia, Java, or C++ etc.
· Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle
· Demonstrated leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
· Ability to triage issues, react well to changes, work with teams, and ability to multi-task on multiple products and projects.
· Expertise in Python scientific computing tools
· Familiar with Julia
· Familiar with software scripting for hardware interfaces (drivers, emulators, embedded applications/FPGAs)
· Have worked as a software engineer in a hardware R&D program
· Experience working closely with other engineers as well as scientists and technicians covering a wide range of technical skill levels