Amazon is focused on protecting the health and safety of our employees while continuing to serve people who need our services more than ever. Regular testing on a global scale across all industries would both help keep people safe and help get the economy back up and running. But, for this to work, we as a society would need vastly more testing capacity than is currently available. Unfortunately, today we live in a world of scarcity where COVID-19 testing is heavily rationed. Until we have an effective vaccine available in billions of doses, high-volume testing capacity would be of great help, but getting that done will take collective action by NGOs, companies, and governments.
We are a team of doers working passionately to apply cutting-edge advances in technology to solve real-world problems. As a Lead Scientist, you will work with a unique and gifted team developing exciting products in the Molecular Biology field for consumers and collaborate with cross-functional teams. Our team rewards intellectual curiosity while maintaining a laser-focus in bringing products to market. Competitive candidates are responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open, collaborative, entrepreneurial, startup-like environment. At the cutting edge of both academic and applied research in this product area, you have the opportunity to work together with some of the most talented scientists, engineers, and product managers.
· Graduate degree (Ph.D.) or 10+ years equivalent experience.
· 5+ years of directly-related commercial or academic post-graduate experience.
· 2+ years of experience building and leading science or technology teams.
· Graduate degree (Ph.D.) degree within the life sciences (e.g. Biochemistry, Genetics or Molecular Biology).
· Ability to work within multidisciplinary teams at the interface of life science and computer science.
· Expertise with cutting edge molecular biology and/or biochemistry methods and concepts.
· Familiarity with data analysis tools and methodologies that are commonly used in modern laboratory data analysis.
· Work with a team of researchers to extend and interpret advanced analytical methodologies.
· Ability to work successfully within an entrepreneurial environment.
· Facilitate interactions with collaborators, both internal and external, to develop efficiencies for cutting edge analytical methods.
· Broad familiarity with different areas of the life sciences.
· Ability to establish and manage external partnerships with key technology partners and collaborators.
· Professional characteristics—not unique for this position—that are necessary for Amazon leaders, will include: customer obsession; thinking big; bias for action; inventing and simplifying; strategic thinking/planning and focusing on product execution; having relentlessly high standards; and is interested in recruiting and developing the best.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.