Can Alexa help anyone experience the music they enjoy? Even if they don't know what they'd like to listen to in this moment? Or, if they know they want “Happy rock from the 90s”, can she help them find it?
Your machine learning skills can help make that a reality on the Amazon Music team. We are seeking an Applied Scientist who will join a team of experts in the field of machine learning, and work together to break new ground in the world of understanding and classifying different forms of music, and creating interactive experiences to help users find the music they are in the mood for. We work on machine learning problems for music classification, recommender systems, dialogue systems, NLP, and music information retrieval.
You'll work in a collaborative environment where you can pursue ambitious, long-term research, with many peta-bytes of data, work on problems that haven’t been solved before, quickly implement and deploy your algorithmic ideas at scale, understand whether they succeed via statistically relevant experiments across millions of customers, and publish your research. You'll see the work you do directly improve the experience of Amazon Music customers on Alexa/Echo, mobile, and web.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Computer Science with a strong focus on machine learning, or a related field, and 2+ years of practical experience applying ML to solve complex problems in recommender systems, information retrieval, signal processing, NLP or dialogue systems. Great if you have a passion for music, but this is not a requirement.
- Advance long-term, exploratory research projects in machine learning and related fields to create highly innovative customer experiences;
- Analyze large amounts of Amazon’s customer data to discover patterns, find opportunities, and develop highly innovative, scalable algorithms to seize these opportunities;
- Validate new or improved models via statistically relevant experiments across millions of customers;
- Work closely with software engineering teams to build scalable prototypes for testing, and integrate successful models and algorithms in production systems at very large scale.
Imagine being a part of an agile team where your ideas have the potential to reach millions. Picture working on cutting-edge consumer-facing products, where every single team member is a critical voice in the decision-making process. Envision being able to leverage the resources of a Fortune-500 company within the atmosphere of a start-up. Welcome to Amazon Music, where ideas are born and come to life as Amazon Music Unlimited, Prime Music, and so much more.
Everyone on our team has a meaningful impact on product features, new directions in music streaming, and customer engagement. We are looking for new team members across a variety of job functions including software engineering/development, marketing, design, ops and more. Come join us as we make history by launching exciting new projects in the coming year.
Our team is focused on building a personalized, curated, and seamless music experience. We want to help our customers discover up-and-coming artists, while also having access to their favorite established musicians. We build systems that are distributed on a large scale, spanning our music apps, web player, and voice-forward audio engagement on mobile and Amazon Echo devices, powered by Alexa to support our customer base. Amazon Music offerings are available in countries around the world, and our applications support our mission of delivering music to customers in new and exciting ways that enhance their day-to-day lives.
Come innovate with the Amazon Music team!
· PhD degree with 4 years of applied research experience or a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience of applied research experience
· 3+ years of experience of building machine learning models for business application
· Experience programming in Java, C++, Python or related language
· Experience in mentoring and developing software engineering teams
· Expertise in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis. The ability to produce top-quality code that is fault-tolerant, efficient and maintainable.
· Experience building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Ability to distill informal customer requirements into problem definitions, dealing with ambiguity and competing objectives;
· Extensive knowledge and practical experience in several of the following areas: machine learning, statistics, deep learning, NLP, recommendation systems, dialogue systems, information retrieval;
· Track record of scientific publications in premier journals and conferences;
· Strong problem solving skills;
· Experience handling gigabyte and terabyte size datasets;
· Skilled with Java, C++, or other programming language, as well as with R, MATLAB, Python or similar scripting language;
· Professional experience in software development (software design and development life cycle);
· Superior verbal and written communication skills, ability to convey rigorous mathematical concepts and considerations to non-experts.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.