The Economic Technology team (ET) is looking for a Data Scientist to join our team in building Reinforcement Learning solutions at scale. The ET applies Machine Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Causal Inference, and Econometrics/Economics to derive actionable insights about the complex economy of Amazon’s retail business. We also develop Statistical Models and Algorithms to drive strategic business decisions and improve operations. We are an interdisciplinary team of Economists, Engineers, and Scientists incubating and building day one solutions using cutting-edge technology, to solve some of the toughest business problems at Amazon.
You will work with business leaders, scientists, and economists to translate business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables, including the design, development, testing, and deployment of highly scalable distributed services. You will partner with scientists, economists, and engineers to help invent and implement scalable ML, RL, and econometric models while building tools to help our customers gain and apply insights.
This is a unique, high visibility opportunity for someone who wants to have business impact, dive deep into large-scale economic problems, enable measurable actions on the Consumer economy, and work closely with scientists and economists. We are particularly interested in candidates with experience building predictive models and working with distributed systems.
As a Data Scientist, you bring business and industry context to science and technology decisions. You set the standard for scientific excellence and make decisions that affect the way we build and integrate algorithms. Your solutions are exemplary in terms of algorithm design, clarity, model structure, efficiency, and extensibility. You tackle intrinsically hard problems, acquiring expertise as needed. You decompose complex problems into straightforward solutions.
· MSc in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, or related field plus 6+ years of combined academic and research experience
· Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills
· Experience in designing analytic and/or algorithmic solutions to business or operational problems
· Ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
· Ability to clean, transform, and merge your own data in a procedural language like Python or R
· PhD in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, or related field plus 4+ years of combined academic and research experience
· Deep knowledge of probabilistic machine learning
· Demonstrated ability to serve as a technical lead
· Experience developing software in traditional programming languages (C++, Java, etc..)
· Strong publication record in top-tier journals and conferences.
Amazon Science gives you insight into the company’s approach to customer-obsessed scientific innovation. Amazon fundamentally believes that scientific innovation is essential to being the most customer-centric company in the world. It’s the company’s ability to have an impact at scale that allows us to attract some of the brightest minds in artificial intelligence and related fields. Our scientists continue to publish, teach, and engage with the academic community, in addition to utilizing our working backwards method to enrich the way we live and work.
Please visit https://www.amazon.science for more information.