The Amazon Web Services (AWS) Center for Quantum Computing (CQC) in Pasadena, CA, is seeking a Systems Engineer who will develop and maintain infrastructure and applications for our organization. By delivering secure and reliable infrastructure for the CQC, you will empower a team of scientists, engineers, and staff to develop future quantum technologies and build products for our customers. In this role, you will interact with teams across and outside the organization to ensure high availability, security, and best-in-class features for on-premise and cloud infrastructure at a new facility. You will also work closely with end users to make sure the system or application meets the needs of the business. Successful candidates must be adaptable to changing requirements in a dynamic research environment and must be thorough while solving ambiguous problems.
Specifically, we are looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to:
• Make an impact on the backend of our quantum computing platform through onsite ownership of office and laboratory networking projects, as well as cloud solutions for remote work and virtual interfaces
• Invent, manage, maintain, and secure on-premise and cloud infrastructure such as: local storage and compute, remote access to specialized experimental tools, enterprise cloud products, and distributed systems
• Administer firewall policies, plan and enforce IP address management and network segmentation
• Implement information security controls and patterns that support risk assessments and the development of secure architectures
• Address bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make tradeoffs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints
• Design and maintain operational protocols for managed and unmanaged endpoints
• Advise and engage with scientists, engineers, technicians, and cross-functional teams to set a high bar on networking and security standards across the organization
• Create quality documentation for our organization and AWS security teams
At the AWS CQC, we understand that developing quantum computing technology is a marathon, not a sprint. Mental and physical wellness is encouraged within our team and throughout AWS. To that end, we have established an internal wellness program that offers, e.g., meditation scheduling, running group meet-ups, and other wellness tips & efforts. Further, the work/life integration within our team encourages a culture where employees work hard and also have ownership over their downtime.
Mentorship & Career Growth:
We are committed to the growth and development of every member of CQC, and that includes our hardware engineers. You will receive management and mentorship from within the team that is geared toward career growth, and also have the opportunity to participate in Amazon's mentorship programs for engineers and scientists. Working closely with quantum research scientists will provide opportunities to learn about quantum computing.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture:
The AWS CQC is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds in order to build a world class team. We’re looking for a new teammate who is enthusiastic, curious, motivated, empathetic, reliable, and able to work effectively with their peers. With Quantum being a new and growing initiative within AWS, you would have an opportunity to make an impact on our budding team culture.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
• 4+ years of Networking and Systems Engineering experience
• Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
• Strong experience working with TCP/IP and networking protocols such as HTTP and DNS
• Advanced Windows and UNIX (preferably Linux) systems engineering skills
• Excellent problem-solving skills with a strong attention to detail
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent communication with peers and non-technical stakeholders
• Demonstrates leadership in making key technical decisions that influence the workflow of the organization
• Masters' degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline, or equivalent experience
• Ability to dive deep and understand all layers of a web services technology stack
• Deep AWS networking experience (VPC configuration, Direct Connect, Transit Gateway)
• Ability to understand complex compliance requirements and work backwards to define actionable goals
• Prior experience as a security engineer
• Experience in a 24x7 production environment
• Experience maintaining critical systems
• Proven ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team