Audible’s “Next Chapter” Returnship Program is a 16- week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This program is 100% virtual during the 16-week returnship program. There is a possibility of a full time offer conversion post-returnship. These full time offers will likely be based out of Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA, and all full-time opportunities will offer relocation packages.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Android Core group owns the core experience for Audible Android App. Audible customers spend most of their time with Audible on their apps. It's our responsibility to push Audible into new places for their Android listening. Achieving this vision means building a cohesive user experience on the Android app, maintaining operational excellence, and reducing customer friction that gets between our users and their content.
This opportunity specifically is as a Software Development Engineer within the Audible Android group. The team is building customer facing UI for Audible's Android application. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved project. eature development at Audible is a highly collaborative exercise, and you will be working directly with PMs and UX designers to help define the work that will drive customer value in the app.
HOW DOES AMAZON FIT IN?
We're a part of Amazon: they are our parent company and it's a great partnership. You'll get to play with all of Amazon's technologies, but it doesn't stop there. Audible is built on a strong foundation of Amazon technology and you'll have insight into the inner workings of the world's leading e-commerce experience. There's a LOT to learn! Your career will benefit from working with teams like Alexa, Kindle, A9, P13N and many more.
If you want to own and solve problems, work with a creative dynamic team, fail fast in a supportive environment while growing your career and working on an app with over 30 million worldwide installs, this is the team for you!
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
· As a Software Development Engineer, you will be part of the Android team. Our core goal is to make Android app easier to use for our customers, and more easily maintained by our engineers.
· With the support of the team, own key components within our platform. "Owning" means envisioning, designing, creating, building, testing, and supporting.
· Contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Audible and beyond.
· Partner with product management to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
· Evangelize our content and application, work closely with business development, and through events like external hackathons and internal brown bag sessions.
· Take advantage of the resources, training and experts around you to stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon and then share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community. Solve problems which are not clearly defined and have a large degree of ambiguity while translating our organizational vision into functional plans that guide their execution.
· Support our developers. "Support" means be the go-to-person for questions but never a bottleneck. See around the corner and anticipate developers' needs.
WHO YOU ARE
· A great communicator who can distill important information clearly to both technical and non-technical stakeholders, helping them make informed decisions confidently.
· A team player who brings energy and passion to all efforts and inspires others to do the same.
· Passionate about bringing your skills to Audible while being open and eager to learn new things.
· A detail-oriented problem-solver who enjoys the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
· Curious and unafraid to ask questions to gain deeper understanding.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related field or equivalent practical experience.
· Background in any customer-facing software development (internal or external).
· Open to relocate to Newark, NJ or Cambridge, MA at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
· Prior success as a software engineer, subject matter expert, and strategic influencer on the direction of the product design and development.
· Working knowledge of software development best practices: dependency injection, design patterns, unit/integration testing
· Experience building enterprise-scale mobile applications.
· Experience with Android application development, and Android-adjacent tools and SDKs like Dagger
· Competency in automation, enthusiasm for continuous integration/deployment
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we've redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.