Note: By applying to this position, your application will be considered for locations we hire for in the United States including, but not limited to: Seattle, WA; Austin, TX; Bay Area, CA; Bellevue, WA; Boston, MA; Denver, CO; Detroit, MI; Herndon, VA; Irvine, CA; New York, NY; Madison, WI; Minneapolis, MN; Phoenix, AZ; Portland, OR; San Diego, CA. You may be considered for a role outside of Amazon Games.
Amazon is all in on games.
Do you want the chance to solve a real world business challenge? Are you fascinated with connecting players with games they will enjoy? Do you possess strong analytical and problem solving skills? Do you enjoy creating delightful game experiences? If you are not afraid of ambiguity, thinking outside the box, or complex challenges, this might be the AI/Character Designer internship for you.
We believe the evolution that began with pre-internet arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the live streams and eSports of today, will continue to a future in which fans are creators, players are celebrities, and games are a global cultural touchstone that cuts across age, gender and nationality. Games have the power to connect communities at a massive scale, and we want to be a part of that future by delivering great customer experiences to players, viewers, streamers, and game developers. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us.
We are looking for a game design intern to help shape the future of our games within a team at our Amazon Game Studios, Orange County. As a game designer intern you’ll be responsible for inventing and developing a unique and exciting game mechanic for our players. You will work with a team of animators and programmers to bring your vision to life. If you want to focus on gameplay designers to create a responsive, fun and flowing gameplay experience, come join us!
In this role, you will:
· Design and develop a mechanic that fits in the world but bring something new and unique to the game
· Write a character design document that communicates your vision to the rest of the team
· Work under the guidance of the animation team to describe timings, distances, and other animation keys which result in responsive, fun gameplay
· Work under the guidance of a programmer to create functionality for the mechanic or characters
· Script gameplay logic and integrate animations into the game engine
· Work in an iterative manner, where you playtest often, get team feedback and improve your work.
We are looking for future Amazon interns to join us for summer 2021. Amazon interns have the opportunity to work alongside the industry’s brightest game developers who innovate everyday on behalf of our customers.
· Experience as a player with a variety of online video games
· Experience with visual scripting or scripting language
· Ability to effectively communicate mechanics impact player experiences
· Experience scripting in modern engines (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc…)
· Animation understanding and fluency
· Experience developing a game mechanic
· Deep understanding the competitive, multiplayer game landscape
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.